Certificate of Incorporation for Corporations, Professional Service Corporations, and Not-for-Profit Corporations



State, Department of State
All corporations based in New York State must file a Certificate of Incorporation. This certificate is filed with the NYS Department of State (NYSDOS).

Businesses from outside New York State must file for a Certificate of Authority. Click the following link to learn more about this requirement.

Requirements, application steps, and application materials, and fees vary by legal structure. Businesses should consult an attorney to learn about legal structures.

For more information, contact:

NYS Department of State
Division of Corporations
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue, 6th Floor
Phone: (518) 473-2492
Fax: (518) 474-1418
Deaf, hearing impaired, and speech-disabled callers, please call 711.

Website: http://www.dos.ny.gov/

NYS Department of State
123 William Street, 19th Floor
New York,NY10038-3804
Phone: (518) 473-2492

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.