Captive Insurance Company License



Insurance Department State
Businesses can create corporations to insure or reinsure their own risk. To do so, they need this license from the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS).

This license allows a "captive insurer" to provide life, annuity, health, fire, and/or property insurance. It can be a "pure" insurer, owned by one company, or a "group captive" insurer for several.

For more information, contact:

NYS Department of Financial Services
Captive Insurance Coordinator
One State Street
New York,NY10004
Phone: (212) 480-2757
Fax: (212) 480-2310

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.