Businesses must receive state or local incentives to qualify. Businesses must also meet at least some of the following requirements:
- Be a manufacturer in New York City.
- Undergo an energy efficiency survey.
- Be approved for another City or State benefit, such as: New York City Industrial Development Agency, Industrial and Commercial Abatement Program, or the Energy Cost Savings Program.
- Apply with 30 days of applying for City or State incentives.
- Retail establishments are excluded from receiving the BIR benefit. This includes stores (such as grocery stores), restaurants, franchises, chain establishments, and related businesses.
- Government entities may not receive the BIR.
- Businesses that move into vacant commercial or industrial buildings, or move into new construction are eligible to apply through Con Edison. Not-for-profit institutions that occupy newly constructed or converted space used predominantly for biomedical research, or business incubators recognized by a government entity or business incubator graduates that continue to exist as a new business must also apply through Con Edison.
For more information, contact:
110 William Street, 5th Floor