Architect License



Education, Department of State
Architects must have a license from the New York State Department of Education (NYSDOE). Requirements vary by education and past supervised architectural experience.

Common categories for architect without licenses cannot be used by unlicensed architects in New York. These include the titles "architectural associate" or "design professional."

For more information, contact:

NYS Education Department
Office of the Professions
Registration Unit, State Education Building
2nd Floor
Phone: (518) 474-3817
Fax: (518) 402-2323
TDD/TTY: (518) 473-1426


Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.