Corporation (Foreign), Application for Authority



State, Department of State
Out-of-state corporations doing business in New York may need a Certificate of Authority. This certificate comes from the New York State Department of State (NYSDOS).

Businesses should consult an attorney to learn about legal structures.

Out-of-state corporations that want to do business in New York State apply for this certificate. Corporations need to provide proof of incorporation in their home state or country. Applicants must provide a fee.

Businesses do not always need a Certificate of Authority to do business in New York State. If a business has already been conducting business in New York, it will need permission from the State Tax Commission to file for a Certificate. Contact the Commission directly at (518) 485-2639 to get consent.

Out-of-state not-for-profit corporations that want to do business in New York State file the Application for Authority for Foreign Not-for-Profit Corporations.

For more information, contact:

NYS Department of State
Division of Corporations
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue, 6th Floor
Albany, NY 12231
Phone: (518) 473-2492
Fax: (518) 474-1418
Deaf, hearing impaired, and speech-disabled callers, please call 711.


NYS Department of State
123 William Street, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10038-3804
Phone: (518) 473-2492

NYS Department of Taxation and Finance
W.A. Harriman Campus
Albany, NY 12227
Phone: (518) 485-6027

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.