Air Pollution Control - State Facility Permit



Environmental Conservation, Department of State
Businesses that emit pollutants into the air need permits from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). Facilities that emit at certain levels must get a State Facility Permit.

The DEC requires the State Facility Permit if a facility meets any one of the following conditions:
  • emits more than 12.5 tons per year of either mononitrogen oxides (NOx) or volatile organic compounds (VOCs); or,
  • emits more than 50 tons per year of sulfur dioxide SO2, carbon monoxide (CO), or particulate matter (PM); or
  • emits more than 5 tons per year of a single hazardous air pollutant (HAP) and 12.5 tons per year (total) of all HAPs; or
  • emits more persistent, bioaccumulative or toxic compounds than allowed for by table 1 found in 6 NYCRR §201-9.
Businesses that emit less than 50% of the major source thresholds, noted above, should submit the Air Facility Registration. Businesses with facilities emitting at or above the major source thresholds should file for a Title V Permit.

For more information, contact:

NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Division of Air Resources
1 Hunter's Point Plaza
47-40 21st Street
Long Island City, NY 11101-5407
Phone: (718) 482-4997

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.