Adult Care Facility - Assisted Living Program



Health, Department of State
Assisted living programs must have a Certificate of Need to operate in New York State. This certificate comes from the NYS Department of Health (NYSDOH).

Assisted living programs provide services for people with cognitive and/or age-related disabilities. They can operate alongside an residential adult care facility. The operator must organize all resident services. These include residential help, case management, and personal care. Operators cannot provide nursing or medical services.

New laws are in effect to better govern adult homes. Operators should review them as soon as possible.

For more information, contact:

NYS Department of Health
NYC Metropolitan Area Office
90 Church Street, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10007-2919
Phone: 2124174921


Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.