Adult Care Facility - Adult Home



Health, Department of State
Adult Homes and care facilities must have a Certificate of Need to operate in New York State. This certificate must be filed with the NYS Department of Health (NYSDOH).

Adult homes are establishments that provide long-term residential care for five or more adults. The facility can also provide social day care, temporary care, or rehabilitative services. Facilities cannot provide nursing or medical care.

New laws are in effect to better govern adult homes. Operators should review them as soon as possible.

For more information, contact:

NYS Department of Health
NYC Metropolitan Area Office
90 Church Street, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10007-2919
Phone: 2124174921


Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.