Car Free Earth Day is an annual car-free event, held the weekend before or after Earth Day. Celebrate the streets with us on Saturday, April 23, from 11 am to 5 pm. Car Free Earth Day takes place throughout the five boroughs – connecting over 100 Open Streets, 22 plazas, and accessing 1,000+ miles of the NYC Bike Network! Environmental programming is offered by City agencies and community organizations along the route to promote activism and education surrounding climate change, sustainability and other relevant topics. NYC DOT is proud to partner with local artists to bring exciting performances to the event.
NYC DOT events are presented at nine locations:
- Bronx, Roberto Clemente Plaza, 3rd Avenue, 148th Street to 149th Street
- Bronx, Southbound Mosholu Parkway, Van Cortlandt Avenue East to Bainbridge Avenue
- Brooklyn, Tompkins Avenue, Gates Avenue to Halsey Street
- Manhattan, Avenue B, East 6th Street to East 14th Street
- Manhattan, Broadway, East 17th Street to West 42nd Street
- Manhattan, Dyckman Street, Quisqueya Plaza to Dyckman Marina
- Manhattan, St. Nicholas Avenue, 181st Street to 190th Street
- Queens, 34th Avenue, 69th Street to 94th Street
- Staten Island, Minthorne Street, Bay Street to Victory Boulevard
Enjoy Car Free Earth Day with public space partners:
- Bronx, Fordham Plaza
- Bronx, Jennings Street, Prospect Avenue to Chisolm Place
- Brooklyn, Albee Square and Albee Square West
- Brooklyn, Hillel Plaza
- Brooklyn, Reed Street, Conover Street to Van Brunt Street
- Brooklyn, Vanderbilt Avenue, Atlantic Avenue to Park Place
- Manhattan, St. Nicholas Avenue, West 117th Street to West 118th Street
- Queens, Reads Lane, Caffey Avenue to Meehan Avenue
- Queens, Woodside Avenue, 76th Street to 79th Street
Celebrate Car Free Earth Day with Free Citi Bike!
On Car Free Earth Day, April 23rd, Citi Bike will be offering free day passes! Use the code CARFREE22 in the Citi Bike app to receive unlimited 30-minute rides on a classic Citi Bike for 24 hours.
Visit NYC DOT’s Flickr for images of past Car Free Earth Day events, www.flickr.com/nycstreets.