Newsletter Sign-up Printer Friendly Format Translate This Page Text Size Small Medium Large


August 2, 2002

Contact: Geoff Ryan (718) 595-6600

DEP Issues Reminder On Public Access Permits

Commissioner Christopher O. Ward of the New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) issued a reminder today that people who want to use City-owned lands in the watersheds of its upstate reservoirs must have Public Access Permits.

"Public Access Permits are a prerequisite for use of DEP's lands in the watershed, whether it be for hunting, hiking or fishing," said Commissioner Ward. "You must have a Public Access Permit to fish or hike at any City-owned property that has been opened for such uses. You must have a Public Access Permit before you apply for a Boat Permit. And you must have a Public Access Permit, as well as a New York State Hunting License, before you apply for a DEP Hunting Permit."

Public Access Permits may be obtained by submitting an application to the DEP through the U.S. mail. PAP applications are available at the following locations:

DEP Police Precincts:

  • Ashokan Precinct, Beaverkill Road, Shokan, NY (off Route 28A);
  • Beerston Precinct, 21939 State Highway 10, Walton, NY (south of Walton near Beersbrook Rd.);
  • Croton Precinct, 900 Croton Lake Road, Yorktown Heights, NY (Route 129, 1.5 miles southeast of the Taconic Parkway);
  • Downsville Precinct, 22 NYC Highway 30A, Downsville, NY;
  • Neversink Precinct, 780 Divine Corners Rd., Hurleyville, (off Route 105, Neversink, NY);

DEP Protection Offices [available in boxes outside the offices]:

  • Croton (East of Hudson) Reservoirs, 54 Croton Falls Road, Mahopac, NY;
  • Ashokan Reservoir, Beaverkill Road and Route 28A, Shokan, NY;
  • Rondout & Neversink Reservoirs, Route 42, Grahamsville, NY;
  • Pepacton & Cannonsville Reservoirs, just off Highway 30, Downsville, NY;

DEP Offices [Normal business hours Monday-Friday]:

  • 71 Smith Ave., Kingston, NY.
  • Bureau of Customer Services, 1250 Broadway (8th Floor), New York, NY;
  • One-Stop Center (First Floor), 96-05 Horace Harding Expressway, Corona, NY.

Additionally, many town halls and bait and tackle shops within the NYC Watershed carry PAP application forms.


More Information

NYC Department of Environmental Protection
Public Affairs

59-17 Junction Boulevard
19th Floor
Flushing, NY 11373

(718) 595-6600