New York City's 59 community districts, established by local law in 1975, illustrate the remarkable diversity of the city's land uses and population. They range in size from less than 900 acres to almost 15,000 acres, and in population from fewer than 35,000 residents to more than 200,000. These and other facts about the districts are presented in the profiles that follow. Each district profile contains summary data on population size; birth, death and infant mortality rates; land area and land uses; and levels of income support. Land uses and census tract boundaries are shown on maps and a variety of population characteristics from the 2010 Census are presented for the district as a whole and for each census tract within the district. Each district profile contains lists of Selected Facilities and Program Sites, including public and private schools, parks, public safety, health, mental health and other social service facilities.
Each district profile also includes listings of capital projects funded in the FY 2013 Adopted Capital Budget and FY 2014 Needs Statements submitted by community boards articulating their needs and priorities. Statements are included only for those boards that submitted them; not all boards are represented.
For more extensive population and housing data related to the community districts or for information on smaller areas such as census tracts or zipcodes, please visit the Population pages of this website.
The profiles below were last updated June 2013.
Please note: The community district profiles are in PDF format and may be as large as 83 MB. You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to download and view these documents.
Previous Community District Profiles containing select population and demographic information from the 2000 Census and 2006 – 2008 American Community Survey may be accessed here.
|Option I: Select a community district from the map below:
[Go to top]
Scroll down for citywide and boroughwide profiles.
|Option II: Select a profile from the list below:
New York City
- Melrose*, Mott Haven, Port Morris
- Hunts Point, Longwood
- Claremont, Crotona Park East, Melrose*, Morrisania
- Concourse, Concourse Village, East Concourse, Highbridge, Mount Eden, West Concourse
- Fordham*, Morris Heights, Mount Hope, University Heights*
- Bathgate, Belmont, Bronx Park South, East Tremont, West Farms
- Bedford Park, Fordham*, Kingsbridge Heights, Norwood, University Heights*
- Fieldston, Kingsbridge, Marble Hill (MN), North Riverdale, Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil
- Bronx River, Castle Hill, Clason Point, Harding Park, Parkchester, Soundview, Soundview-Bruckner, Unionport
- City Island, Co-op City, Country Club, Edgewater Park, Pelham Bay, Schuylerville, Throgs Neck, Village of Baychester, Westchester Square
- Bronxdale, Indian Village, Laconia, Morris Park, Pelham Gardens, Pelham Parkway, Van Nest
- Baychester, Eastchester, Edenwald, Olinville, Wakefield, Williamsbridge, Woodlawn
- East Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Northside, Southside, Williamsburg
- Boerum Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Clinton Hill, Downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, Farragut Houses, Fort Greene, Fulton Ferry, Brooklyn Navy Yard, Vinegar Hill
- Bedford-Stuyvesant, Stuyvesant Heights, Tompkins Park North
- Broadway Junction*, City Line, Cypress Hills, East New York, Highland Park, New Lots, Spring Creek, Starrett City
- Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Gowanus, Park Slope, Red Hook
- Industry City, Sunset Park, Windsor Terrace
- Crown Heights, Prospect Heights, Weeksville
- Crown Heights South, Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Wingate
- Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Fort Hamilton
- Bath Beach, Bensonhurst, Gravesend*, Mapleton
- Borough Park, Kensington, Ocean Parkway*
- Brighton Beach, Coney Island, Gravesend*, Homecrest*, Sea Gate, West Brighton
- Ditmas Park, Flatbush*, Manhattan Terrace, Midwood, Ocean Parkway*, Prospect Park South
- Gerritsen Beach, Gravesend*, Homecrest*, Kings Highway, Manhattan Beach, Plumb Beach, Sheepshead Bay
- Broadway Junction*, Brownsville, Ocean Hill
- East Flatbush, Farragut, Flatbush*, Northeast Flatbush, Remsen Village, Rugby
- Bergen Beach, Canarsie, Flatlands, Georgetown, Marine Park, Mill Basin, Mill Island, Paerdegat Basin
Manhattan Community Districts
- Battery Park City, Civic Center, Ellis Island, Financial District, Governors Island, Liberty Island, South Street Seaport, Tribeca, Wall Street
- Greenwich Village, Hudson Square, Little Italy, NoHo*, SoHo, South Village, West Village
- Chinatown, East Village, Lower East Side, Two Bridges, NoHo*
- Chelsea, Clinton, Hudson Yards
- Flatiron, Gramercy Park*, Midtown, Midtown South, Murray Hill*, Times Square, Union Square, Herald Square
- Beekman Place, Gramercy Park*, Murray Hill*, Peter Cooper Village, Stuyvesant Town, Sutton Place, Tudor City, Turtle Bay
- Lincoln Square, Manhattan Valley, Upper West Side
- Carnegie Hill, Lenox Hill, Roosevelt Island, Upper East Side, Yorkville
- Hamilton Heights, Manhattanville, Morningside Heights, West Harlem
- Central Harlem
- East Harlem, Randalls Island, Wards Island
- Inwood, Washington Heights
- Astoria, Astoria Heights, Dutch Kills, Long Island City*, Ravenswood, Rikers Island (BX), Steinway
- Blissville, Hunters Point, Long Island City*, Sunnyside, Sunnyside Gardens, Woodside
- East Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, North Corona
- Corona, Corona Heights, Elmhurst, Lefrak City, South Corona
- Glendale, Maspeth, Middle Village, Ridgewood
- Forest Hills, Forest Hills Gardens, Rego Park
- Auburndale*, Bay Terrace, Beechhurst, Clearview, College Point, Downtown Flushing, Flushing, Kissena Park, Malba, Murray Hill, Queensboro Hill, Waldheim, Whitestone
- Briarwood, Fresh Meadows, Hillcrest, Holliswood, Jamaica*, Jamaica Estates, Jamaica Hill, Kew Gardens Hills, Pomonok, Utopia
- Kew Gardens, Ozone Park*, Richmond Hill, Woodhaven
- Howard Beach, Lindenwood, Old Howard Beach, Ozone Park*, South Ozone Park
- Auburndale*, Bayside, Douglaston, Hollis Hills, Little Neck, Oakland Gardens
- Hollis, Jamaica*, Jamaica Center, Rochdale, St. Albans, South Jamaica, North Springfield Gardens
- Bellaire, Bellerose, Brookville, Cambria Heights, Floral Park, Glen Oaks, Laurelton, New Hyde Park, Queens Village, Rosedale, Springfield Gardens
- Arverne, Bayswater, Belle Harbor, Breezy Point, Broad Channel, Edgemere, Far Rockaway, Hammels, Mott Creek, Neponsit, Rockaway Park, Roxbury, Seaside, Somerville, The Rockaways
Island Community Districts
- Arlington, Castleton Corners, Clifton, Elm Park, Fox Hills, Graniteville, Grymes Hill, Howland Hook, Livingston, Mariner's Harbor, New Brighton, Old Place, Park Hill, Port Ivory, Port Richmond, Randall Manor, Rosebank, Shore Acres, Silver Lake, Stapleton, St. George, Sunnyside, Tompkinsville, Ward Hill, West Brighton, West New Brighton, Westerleigh, Willowbrook*
- Arrochar, Bloomfield, Bulls Head, Chelsea, Concord, Dongan Hills, Egbertville, Emerson Hill, Grant City, Grasmere, Heartland Village, Lighthouse Hill, Manor Heights, Midland Beach, New Dorp, New Dorp Beach, New Springville, Old Town, South Beach, Travis, Todt Hill, Willowbrook*
- Annadale, Arden Heights, Bay Terrace, Butler Manor, Charleston, Eltingville, Great Kills, Greenridge, Huguenot, Oakwood, Oakwood Beach, Pleasant Plains, Prince's Bay, Richmond Town, Richmond Valley, Rossville, Sandy Ground, Tottenville, Woodrow
* in more than one community district
[Go to top]
|JOINT INTEREST AREAS
Joint Interest Areas, a/k/a JIAs, are public parks, waterways, major governmental installations and similar land uses which are not located within bounding community districts. Examples are Central Park, Van Cortlandt Park, LaGuardia and JFK Airports.
Each JIA has a number, like a community district. The list of JIAs is below:
- 26 -- Van Cortlandt Park
- 27 -- Bronx Park
- 28 -- Pelham Bay Park
- 55 -- Prospect Park
- 56 -- Brooklyn Gateway National Recreation Area
- 80 -- LaGuardia Airport
- 81 -- Flushing Meadows-Corona Park
- 82 -- Forest Park
- 83 -- JFK International Airport
- 84 -- Queens Gateway National Recreation Area
- 95 -- S.I. Gateway National Recreation Area
*For information about 2010 population within the joint interest areas go to http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/census/2010_cd_geographic_notes.pdf.
|SOURCES & DISCLAIMER:
- Population: US Census Bureau, 2010 Census
Statistics: Resident births and deaths prepared by NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, 2010
Support: NYC Human Resources Administration, Medicaid Eligibility File, 2012
Area: Total land area from the Department of City Planning's LION street and District base map files. (The numbers presented for land area may differ from those shown in previous years. This does not reflect an actual change in the land area of community districts or boroughs; it results from a standardization of the calculation of area from the DCP District files.)
Use Tables: NYC Department of Finance's Real Property File, 2012 adjusted by the Department of City Planning for condominiums and parks. Condominiums, which have separate tax lots for each unit, are aggregated to a single tax lot per block in determining counts in the appropriate residential, commercial and mixed residential/commercial categories.
- Selected Facilities: Schools and Colleges: NYS ED, 2011-12 school year; Libraries: BPL/NYPL/QPL, 2011; City Parklands: NYC DPR, 2011; City Pedestrian Plazas: NYC DOT, 2012; State Parklands: NYS OPRHP, 2011; State Open Space Preserves: NYS DEC, 2012; Federal Parklands: NPS, 2011; Cultural Institutions: NYC DCLA, FY 2012; FDNY Facilities: FDNY, 2012; NYPD Facilities: NYPD, 2010-2012; City Correctional Facilities: NYC DOC, 2012; City Juvenile Detention Facilities: NYC ACS/DJJ, 2012; State Juvenile Detention Facilities: NYS OCFS, 2012; State Correctional Facilities: NYS DCS, 2012; Courts: NYC DCAS, 2010; Health Facilities: NYS DOH, 2012; Chemical Dependency Services: NYS OASAS, 2012; Mental Health Services: NYS OMH, 2010; Developmental Disabilities Services: NYS OPWDD, 2012; Day Cares: NYC DOHMH, 2012; Foster Institutions: NYC ACS, 2012; Senior Centers: NYC DFTA, 2012; Homeless Services: NYC DOH, 2012; Adult Care Facilities: NYS DOH, 2012; Food Programs: Food Bank for NYC, 2012; Airports: Gazetteer of City Property (DCAS), 2012; Heliports/Ferry Landings/Marine Terminals: NYC OEM, 2012; PANYNJ Bus Terminals: PANYNJ, 2012; MTA Bus & Paratransit Vehicle Depots: MTA/NYCT, 2012; School Bus Garages: NYC DOE, 2012; Public Parking Garages: NYC DCA, 2012; State Pubic Park and Ride Lots: NYS DOT, 2012; City Pubic Park and Ride Lots: MTA/NYCT, 2012; Subway Yards: MTA/NYCT, 2012; Metro-North Yards: MTA/Metro-North, 2012; LIRR Yards: MTA/LIRR, 2012; Amtrak Yards: Amtrak, 2012; DSNY Refuse Facilities: DSNY, 2012; Commercial Waste Carter Garages: NYC BIC, 2012; Recyclables Handling and Recovery Facilities: NYS DEC, 2012; Scrap Metal Processors: NYC DCA, 2012; Wastewater Treatment Plants: NYC DEP, 2012.
The information on this NYC Department of City Planning web site has been compiled from a variety of sources, and is subject to change without notice. The Department and the City make no representation as to the accuracy of the information or its suitability for any purpose. The Department and the City disclaim any liability for errors that may be contained herein and shall not be responsible for any damages consequential or actual, arising out of or in connection with the use of this information.
Map Based Search | Select from List | Sources & Disclaimer
accompanied by this symbol require the free
Adobe Acrobat Reader.