The Health Department mails birth certificates for newborns to parents about a month after the child's birth at no charge.
You can get a birth certificate for yourself if you are at least 18 years old, or for your child, or for a deceased relative with current identification.
- The fastest, most convenient way to get a birth certificate is to order it online if your name appears on the record. Online orders are processed within 24 hours on weekdays. UPS express mail delivery is available. Birth certificates ordered online cannot be mailed to PO Box addresses.
- If you're ordering a birth certificate for a deceased relative, you most do so by mail or in person.
- It takes an additional 10 business days to process orders for letters of exemplification and long-form birth certificates. These are required for overseas transactions such as applying for dual citizenship, marrying on foreign soil, adopting a child from another country, or purchasing foreign real estate.
- If you need a standard birth certificate immediately, please follow the instructions below and place your order in person. However, we cannot guarantee that you will leave with your certificate.
Effective January 1, 2014 military personnel and government agencies can verify births electronically.
How To Order
Special instructions for:
If you can't order your certificate online, please follow the 5 easy steps below.
- Download a birth certificate application (PDF). If you are unable to download the application, please call 311 or 212-639-9675 outside New York City to request one.
- Complete the application by following the instructions on the form and sign it.
- Be sure to include your e-mail address where indicated on the form.
- If you are ordering the birth certificate by mail, have the application notarized.
- Get the identification indicated on the form.
- Calculate the fees on the form. Each certificate cost $15; other charges may apply, depending on how you place your order.
- Place your order by mail or in person.
- Check the processing time for your order.
Acknowledgments of Paternity
Certified copies of acknowledgments of paternity are available free of charge. Complete this form (PDF) and place your order by mail or in person.
- If ordering in person, avoid standing in line by bringing your completed form and a self-addressed envelope with you. Lobby staff at 125 Worth Street in Lower Manhattan can direct you to the appropriate window in Room 133.
- Allow 2 weeks for delivery.