Electronic Hailing (E-Hail) allows a passenger to use TLC-licensed apps to hail a yellow taxicab or SHL without the need of the driver to physically see the passenger. The purpose of E-Hail is to pair passengers with drivers that may not have otherwise been able to see each other.
- E-Hail can be used to solicit yellow taxi or SHL rides by passengers that are currently ready to travel and for pre-arrangement.
- E-Hail requests are permitted throughout the five boroughs, with the exception of pickups at La Guardia and JFK airports.
- E-Hailed taxi fares must be calculated using the meter, and credit card payment must be integrated into the existing technology in the backseat of the cab.
- Passengers can either pay using the existing in-vehicle equipment, or through a credit card stored in the app that is integrated into it.
- Arranging/accepting an E-Hail is completely optional to both the passenger and driver.
- Usage of an E-Hail app is restricted for the driver while the vehicle is in motion
- For a complete list of rules, please refer to the E-Hail Rules.
How do I become an E-Hail Provider?
Click here to see all the requirements and procedures to become a Licensed E-Hail provider. For a complete list of TLC-licensed E-Hail providers, click here.
To learn more about our past evaluations of E-Hail, please see our Pilot Projects page.