Yellow & Boro (Green) Taxi
You can submit a lost property inquiry by calling 311 (212-New-York) or through 311 Online if you were traveling in a Yellow taxi or a Boro (Green) taxi.
We will make every effort to assist you in tracking down your property. Please provide 311 with as much of the following information as possible:
- Date and Time of Trip
- Pick-up Location
- Drop-off Location/Destination
- Taxi Driver’s Name
- Taxi Driver’s License Number
- Taxicab Medallion/License Plate Number
- Full Description of Item(s)
- Estimated value of the property
- Payment type (cash or credit card)
- Fare Amount
Trip information can be found on your taxi trip receipt, so always be sure to ask for one at the end your trip.
If your taxi driver cannot return your property directly to you, they must bring it to a designated police precinct.
Lost property inquiry updates are typically available within two (2) business days. You can also check the status of your request online and select “Check Status”.
For-Hire Vehicle, Paratransit & Commuter Van
If you lose or find something in a black car, luxury limousine, livery (community car service), paratransit vehicle (ambulette) or commuter van, you need to contact the company that provided you the service.
Tips to Help You Find Your Lost Property:
- Try calling your cell phone as soon as you discover it is missing.
- Drivers frequently attempt to return property directly to its owner. So, if you were picked-up or dropped-off at a major transportation hub, including airports and rail stations, try calling the lost and found department at that location.
- If you were picked-up or dropped-off at a hotel, contact the concierge or security office.
- Keep in mind that another passenger may find your property and contact you directly.