Requests for records/information from the TLC are called FOIL requests. FOIL is the acronym for the Freedom of Information Law. Pursuant to this law all requests for records/information are analyzed. See Public Officer’s Law, Article 6, Sections 87 through 90.
1. All requests need to be reduced to writing. The Records Access Officer does not supply responses for any requests for records via telephone.
Make a FOIL request by e-mail
In order to facilitate the FOIL process you can request your records by e-mail. If you have Microsoft Word on your computer, you may download the FOIL form through the link below. Upon completion of the form you can send your request as an attachment to FOIL@tlc.nyc.gov.
Download FOIL form here (PDF Format)
2. Requests can also still be made for records by fax or mail to our office, marked to the attention of the Records Access Officer ("RAO").
Make a FOIL request by fax or mail
The address is:
33 Beaver Street, Legal Department,
New York, New York, 10004.
Attn.: Records Access Officer
3. The fax number is: 212-676-1102.
4. Pursuant to the Public Officer’s Law, Article 6, Section 89.3, a FOIL request must “reasonably describe” the record being requested. An accurate description of a record will enable easier identification of that record.
5. You will receive either the documents requested, or an acknowledgement of your request from the TLC within (5) business days of receipt of your FOIL request.
6. If you have any questions concerning the correspondence received from the TLC, you may appeal to the General Counsel.