The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission launched a new program providing wheelchair-accessible taxi dispatching services to New York City residents on September 14, 2012.
Accessible Dispatch is a centralized service providing on-demand transportation 24/7, 365 days a year with no advance reservations necessary.
Metro Taxi, a Connecticut company located in West Haven, CT, will dispatch 233 New York City wheelchair-accessible taxis to locations within Manhattan. Wheelchair-accessible taxis will respond to trips originating in Manhattan and ending anywhere in the five boroughs, Westchester and Nassau counties and the three regional airports.
Passengers pay the normal metered taxi fare in New York City from the point of pick-up to destination. There are no extra costs to passengers.
There are five ways to request a New York City wheelchair-accessible taxi:
- Call 311
- Call the dispatch center directly: (646) 599-9999
- Text a request to: (646) 400-0789
- Use the mobile app “Wheels on Wheels” (WOW), powered by Taxi Magic and available free at the Apple iTunes Store
- Order online at www.nycaccessibledispatch.org
- All drivers of wheelchair accessible taxicabs are required to participate in the accessible dispatch program.
- Drivers receive a dispatch fee or deadhead payment for each accessible dispatch trip completed.
To find out more information from the Accessible Dispatch vendor, please visit their website at: http://www.accessibledispatch.com/drivers
You can also find additional information on the program by reviewing TLC’s rule book Chapter 53 regarding Accessible Taxicabs: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/downloads/pdf/2011rulebook_ch53.pdf