The 2016 TLC Safety Honor Roll is the third annual event recognizing TLC-licensed drivers who have outstanding records of safe driving over many years and millions of miles behind the wheel. The TLC has high standards for its almost 150,000 licensed drivers, and on a mile-per-mile basis TLC-licensed drivers are some of the safest drivers on New York City streets. The TLC reviewed all of its licensed drivers’ records and identified drivers who have, over four or more years, not had a single crash resulting in an injury, a single traffic violation, or a single violation of TLC safety-related rules. The 378 drivers on the 2016 TLC Safety Honor Roll represent a truly elite group.
The TLC Safety Honor Roll also honors taxi fleets, car service bases, and commuter van companies with superior safety records. The TLC is also taking this opportunity to recognize drivers who have distinguished themselves as exceptional providers of accessible service to our city’s wheelchair users. Taken as a whole, this year’s honorees are leading the way in TLC-regulated industries, improving service to the riding public and making our streets safer places to live and work.
Read the press release
Watch the event
List of 2016 TLC Safety Honor Roll Drivers
List of 2016 TLC Safety Honor Roll Fleets, Bases, and Commuter Van Authorities
List of 2016 TLC Accessibility Honor Roll Drivers
These remarkable drivers and businesses will be recognized for their commitment to safety and service at a ceremony with their friends and families on September 14, 2016.
Facts about 2016 Safety Honor Roll Drivers
TLC Safety Honor Roll drivers have had no crashes involving fatality or injury, no traffic violations, and no violations of TLC safety-related rules for five or more years as TLC-licensed drivers.
- Our 2016 Honor Roll Safety Honorees completed 1.87 million trips in 2015. Assuming the average trip distance of 3 miles, they carried passengers a total of over 5.6 million miles in 2015 - that’s 23.5 trips to the moon or 225 trips around the world!
- Together, 45 drivers are repeat honorees: 18 drivers were on the Honor Roll in for each of the past three years, 16 drivers were on the Honor Roll for the past two years, and 11 drivers were on the Honor Roll in 2014 and 2016.
- On average, Honor Roll drivers have held their TLC license for 13 years.
- One driver will be honored for both safe driving and accessible dispatch service! Herold Valere is our first double-honoree.
Facts about 2016 Safety Honor Roll Fleets, Bases & Van Companies
TLC Safety Honor Roll companies have the lowest shares of vehicles involved in serious collisions (i.e., collisions with an injury) in their categories in 2016.
- The honorees include five yellow taxi fleets, fifteen car service bases (five small, five medium, and five large), and three commuter van companies.
- These companies have been in business for an average of 20 years.
- 12 of these companies provide street hail service, including both yellow taxis and green Boro taxis.
- Two business honorees – Eddie’s Management Corp. and Flushing Van Service Inc. – have been on the TLC Safety Honor Roll for two consecutive years.
- Each type of car service base is represented: ten livery, three luxury limousine, and two black car.
Facts about 2016 Accessibility Leaders
20 yellow taxi drivers will be honored for their superior service in the TLC’s Accessible Dispatch Program.
- This program allows passengers with disabilities to have a taxi dispatched to them in Manhattan for destinations anywhere in NYC by either contacting 311, or via any one of five other contact options.
- Each Accessibility Leader conducted an average of 14 trips per week in 2016 and had no major violations or crashes within the past year.
- From January to the end of July of 2016, these 20 drivers conducted 3,264 accessible trips.