The 2017 TLC Safety Honor Roll is the fourth annual event recognizing TLC-licensed drivers who have outstanding records of safe driving over many years and millions of miles behind the wheel. The TLC has high standards for its almost 170,000 licensed drivers, and on a mile-per-mile basis TLC-licensed drivers are some of the safest drivers on New York City streets. The TLC reviewed all of its licensed drivers’ records and identified drivers who have, over four or more years, not had a single crash resulting in an injury, a single traffic violation, or a single violation of TLC safety-related rules. The 420 drivers on the 2017 TLC Safety Honor Roll represent a truly elite group. The TLC Safety Honor Roll also honors taxi fleets, car service bases, and commuter van companies with superior safety records. These businesses play a crucial role in promoting safe driving practices in the for-hire transportation industry.
The TLC Accessibility Honor Roll recognizes drivers who have distinguished themselves as excellent providers of accessible service to our city’s wheelchair users. These yellow taxi drivers represent the highest and most consistent trip providers in the Accessible Dispatch program.
For the first time this year, TLC will also honor drivers for excellent customer service. These drivers went above and beyond with their passengers, who sent their compliments to TLC.
Taken as a whole, this year’s honorees are leading the way in TLC-regulated industries, improving service to the riding public and making our streets safer places to live and work.
Read the press release
List of 2017 TLC Safety Honor Roll Drivers
List of 2017 TLC Safety Honor Roll Businesses
List of 2017 TLC Accessibility Honor Roll Drivers
List of 2017 TLC Customer Service Honor Roll Drivers
These remarkable drivers and businesses will be recognized for their commitment to safety and service at a ceremony with their friends and families on October 11, 2017.
Commissioner Joshi honors TLC licensees with exemplary safety records during the 2016 TLC Safety Honor Roll.
Facts about 2017 Safety Honor Roll Drivers
TLC Safety Honor Roll drivers have had no crashes involving fatality or injury, no traffic violations, and no violations of TLC safety-related rules for four or more years as TLC-licensed drivers.
- The 2017 Safety Honor Roll is comprised of 420 TLC-licensed drivers – the highest number of safe driver honorees yet! Among our honorees, 330 driver yellow taxis, 91 drive for-hire vehicles, 31 drive green taxis, and 12 drive commuter vans.
- This year, we have 138 repeat honorees: 9 drivers have been honored all four years, 19 drivers were honored for three of the past four years, and 110 drivers were honored in two of the past four years.
- These honorees completed a total of 1.99 million trips in 2016.
- The average Safety Honor Roll driver has been driving for 14 years.
- Safety Honor Roll drivers hail from all five boroughs and outside of the city. The plurality, 44%, live in Queens.
Facts about 2017 Safety Honor Roll Fleets, Bases & Van Companies
TLC Safety Honor Roll businesses have the lowest shares of vehicles involved in serious collisions (i.e., collisions with an injury) in their industry sectors in 2017.
- The honorees include five yellow taxi fleets, fifteen car service bases (five small, five medium, and five large), and five commuter van companies.
- These companies have been in business for an average of 16 years.
- Each type of car service base is represented: six luxury limousine, five black car, and four livery bases.
- Three business honorees – Kim Cab Leasing, American Limousine Inc., and Harrison Global – have been on the TLC Safety Honor Roll for two consecutive years. One honoree – Community Transportation Systems Corporation – was also on the Safety Honor Roll in 2015.
Facts about 2017 Accessibility Honor Roll Drivers
This year TLC is honoring 26 yellow taxi drivers for their superior service in the TLC’s Accessible Dispatch Program.
- This program allows passengers with disabilities to have a taxi dispatched to them in Manhattan for destinations anywhere in NYC by either contacting 311, or via any one of five other contact options.
- Two drivers have been honored two years in a row for their high numbers of Accessible Dispatch trips.
- From August 2016 to July 2017, these 26 drivers completed 7,277 Accessible Dispatch trips, averaging five trips per week.
- The highest number of Accessible Dispatch trips provided by an honoree was 443 trips!
- The Accessibility Honor Roll members have been licensed by TLC for an average of 11 years.
Facts about 2017 Customer Service Honor Roll Drivers
For the first time, TLC is honoring drivers for excellent customer service. TLC received formal compliments from their passengers commending their exceptional service.
- TLC is honoring five drivers for the first Customer Service Honor Roll.
- These drivers helped their passengers in a variety of ways, including finding lost property and helping an injured pedestrian get to the hospital.
- Three of the Customer Service honorees drive yellow taxis and two honorees drive green taxis.
- These drivers have been licensed by TLC for an average of 15 years.