Online Transactions Printer Friendly Format Newsletter Sign-up Translate This Page Text Size Small Medium Large

Apply for a License Online
Pay Renewal Fee Online
Pay Summons Online
Pay Other Fees Online
Update License Info Online
Additional Info Online

Lost Property Search
Street Hail Livery - Vehicle

I want to purchase an SHL Permit AND affiliate my existing vehicle to the permit – can I do that?

Yes, you can do that but your vehicle must be equipped in accordance with our rules to meet the requirements for an SHL vehicle. Please see our TLC rules for additional information, or you can download the “SHL HACK-UP AND INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS” guide Please click here. 

I need a Grant Approval letter to purchase a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV). How do I apply? 

To obtain a Grant Approval letter you must first own an SHL WAV permit.  You can then  drop off your Grant Application form found on our website at our Licensing Facility, located at: 32-02 Queens Blvd, 2nd Floor.

Once your Grant Application has been reviewed, you will be notified by e-mail if you are approved and an Approval letter will be sent to you.

Please click here for additional information on how to obtain a Grant Applcation. Please also refer to TLC Rules Chapter 82 for more information about grants.

Who is entitled to grant funding?

The City of New York will issue grants up to $15,000 to Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) SHL Permit holders to aid in the purchase of or upfit of a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV).  Each WAV SHL Permit holder may apply for a grant to receive up to $15,000.  Only one grant per permit or vehicle identification number is allowed.

For more information or to apply, please click here.

If I own the vehicle attached to the permit but not the Street Hail Livery (SHL) Permit itself do I have to be affiliated to the same Base as the SHL Permit holder?

Yes, the vehicle must be attached to the same base as the SHL Permit holder.

I want to affiliate my vehicle to an SHL Vehicle Permit - what do I need to do? 

You will need to notify the SHL Endorsed Base and the SHL Permit holder that you want to affiliate your vehicle to the permit. The Endorsed Base will request an appointment with the TLC via our website to have your vehicle application processed.

I want to submit an application to affiliate a vehicle to my SHL Vehicle Permit. What do I need to do?

You would have to inform your SHL Endorsed Base with which you are affiliated that you have a vehicle that you want to affiliate to your permit.  If the vehicle is not affiliated to the same base, then the base would need to make an appointment with the TLC via our website to request an appointment to have your vehicle application processed.

How often do Street Hail Livery (SHL) vehicles have to be inspected?

SHL vehicles are required to be inspected two (2) times a year. At your initial Hack-Up you will receive your next scheduled inspection appointment.

What type of vehicles can I use with a Street Hail Livery (SHL)? 

Any vehicle that meets the licensure requirements of our rules.  Please visit our TLC rules for additional information.

Where can I find information on where to place the markings on my vehicle, also know as Hail Zone Decals?

To obtain information on where the Hail Zone Decals must go on your vehicle, click here.

How can I check to see if my appointment to submit an application to Transfer to a Street Hail Livery Permit (SHL) has been scheduled? 

You should receive via e-mail an appointment confirmation form with your scheduled date and time to come in to our Licensing facility to have your application processed within three (3) business days of submitting your request.

If you have not received your appointment confirmation, you should check the list of scheduled SHL Permit appointments on our web site to see if an appointment has been for you. Please click on Scheduled Vehicle/Base Transfers to an SHL Permit Appointments.