On-Line Transactions (LARS) Printer Friendly Format Newsletter Sign-up Translate This Page Text Size Small Medium Large

Apply for a License
Upload Documents (TLC UP)
Pay Renewal Fee
Pay Summons
Pay Other Fees
Update License Information
Additional Information

Lost Property Search

November 6 - General Election
FAQ Licensing | Additional Information – Vehicle Insurance

Where can I go to obtain Vehicle Insurance information?

To obtain information, please visit the Vehicle Insurance information webpage.

I am having problems with a vehicle insurance claim with a TLC licensee and would like to file a complaint. What do I do?

The TLC does not have regulatory authority over insurance claims. These are handled by the New York State Insurance Department. If you are having problems with an insurance claim with a TLC licensee and you would like to file a complaint you will need to visit the New York State Insurance Department web site to submit your complaint.

Do I need to live in New York State to register my vehicle for a TLC Vehicle permit (“Diamond” Decal)?

You may register a vehicle from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania.  Out of state vehicles must already have taxi/livery plates and meet the insurance requirements set by NYC TLC.  For additional information, please refer to the Vehicle Insurance Requirements.

These FAQs are for informational purposes only, and are not a full statement of your rights, duties, and obligations under TLC Rules and applicable law. In the event that any of the information contained in these FAQs is not current or otherwise incorrect, the TLC’s Rules and applicable laws govern. The TLC’s Rules can be found on our website at  www.nyc.gov/tlc.