What do I need to do to apply for a New Vehicle License?
You can submit your application Online on our website.
There are a few steps you will need to follow:
- Make payment in LARS
- You may submit your documents by uploading them to the TLC within 45 days.
- Once your application has been processed, if you need TLC plates, a NYS DMV Plate Letter will be sent to the email address on record with TLC. You will need to take the plate letter to the DMV to obtain your TLC plates
- Once you have obtained your plates, you need to the let the TLC know by submitting a Vehicle Plate Notification.
- An inspection appointment for your vehicle will then be emailed to you and your Base.
- If the vehicle is registered outside of New York City, you will be scheduled for a DMV inspection,
I cannot make my scheduled appointment to submit a Transfer application. How can I reschedule?
You may reschedule your appointment using the link provided on your appointment confirmation. Go here to schedule an appointment
What do I need to complete to submit a Vehicle Transfer Application to the TLC?
For a list of requirements you will need before submitting an application, please refer to the Transfer Requirements
How do I schedule a DMV Inspection for my Vehicle?
What do I need to do to have my vehicle inspected at Staten Island?
To have your vehicle inspected at one our TLC approved Staten Island Inspection facilities, your base must submit an appointment request on our website for an inspection after your vehicle application has been processed.
Note: Only vehicles affiliated to a Staten Island Base can request to have their vehicles inspected at Staten Island.
If my application is not approved, do I get a refund?
No. All fees are Non-Refundable. You do not get the money returned to you, regardless of whether your application is approved or not.
Do I need to live in New York State to register my vehicle for a TLC Vehicle permit?
You may register a vehicle from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania. Out of state vehicles must already have taxi/livery plates and meet the insurance requirements set by NYC TLC. For additional information, please refer to the Vehicle Insurance Requirements
Can someone who does not have a TLC Driver License operate a TLC-licensed vehicle for personal use?
Yes, a TLC licensed vehicle can be operated by anyone with a valid and current State issued Drivers license for personal use and reasons.
Please be aware that the vehicle can be pulled over and summonsed by a TLC Inspector or Police Officer if they have reason to believe the vehicle is being operated for-hire or they witness a violation of local laws.
How can I terminate a vehicle or a Street Hail Livery (SHL) affiliation from my FHV Base?
You must notify the vehicle owner or SHL Permit holder of the termination.
There are two ways to do this:
- You can submit a Termination of Affiliation Form that is signed by the base and vehicle owner or SHL permit.
- If you cannot get the vehicle owner or SHL permit holder to sign, you must give them notice in writing. A letter must be sent to the vehicle owner or SHL permit holder, using certified mail, to the address that matches the address that the TLC has on file. You will need to show proof you sent the letter when you request the termination of affiliation. Please see Sample Letter of Termination of Vehicle Affiliation for your convenience.
You must submit the ‘Termination of Affiliation Form’ (and letter if applicable) to the TLC by fax to 718.391.5786 or by scanning and emailing the documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I terminate a vehicle affiliation from my Paratransit Base or Commuter Van Authority?
What do I need to know about vehicle insurance requirements?
There are minimum insurance levels your vehicle must possess based on the type of vehicle you own and the vehicle’s seating capacity. Please refer to Vehicle Insurance Requirements
for further information.
Where can I find information about the New York State Department of Motor Vehicle Transportation Network Company (TNC) program?
For information about the NYSDMV TNC program, please go here
These FAQs are for informational purposes only, and are not a full statement of your rights, duties, and obligations under TLC Rules and applicable law. In the event that any of the information contained in these FAQs is not current or otherwise incorrect, the TLC’s Rules and applicable laws govern. The TLC’s Rules can be found on our website at www.nyc.gov/tlc.