On-Line Transactions (LARS) Printer Friendly Format Newsletter Sign-up Translate This Page Text Size Small Medium Large

Apply for a License
Pay Renewal Fee
Pay Summons
Pay Other Fees
Update License Information
Additional Information

Lost Property Search

Register to Vote
FAQs - FHV Vehicle New And Transfers

What do I need to do to apply for a New Vehicle License?

You can submit your application in one of 2 ways:

  1. Via Online on our website – There are a few steps you will need to follow:
    1. Make payment in LARS
    2. You may submit your documents by uploading them or by faxing, emailing or mailing them to the TLC within 45 days.
    3. Once your application has been processed, you will receive a DMV Plate Letter via the email on record with TLC that you will need to take to DMV to obtain plates
    4. Once you have obtained your plates, you need to the let the TLC know by submitting a Vehicle Plate Notification.
    5. An inspection appointment for your vehicle will emailed to you and your Base. 
    6. If the vehicle is registered outside of New York City, you will be scheduled for a DMV inspection,
    7. OR,

  2.  Submit your application and payment in person, via an appointment. Please go here to schedule an appointment.

The Base may also schedule an appointment for you to submit a New Vehicle Application.

Can I file a new application online?

Yes. If you would like to apply for a New License online, you may do so here


If you wish to submit your new application and payment in person, via an appointment, please go here to schedule an appointment.

How do I license my vehicle with the TLC at the Staten Island facility?

You may submit the vehicle application and fees online, or in person via an appointment. Please go here to schedule an appointment.

Additional information is available on the Vehicle Application Page and New Vehicle Application Requirements.

Currently only applicants affiliated to Staten Island bases can request a Staten Island appointment.

I cannot make my scheduled appointment to submit an application.  How can I reschedule?

You may reschedule your appointment using the link provided on your appointment confirmation. Go here to schedule an appointment

What do I need to complete to submit a Vehicle Transfer Application to the TLC?

For a list of requirements you will need before submitting an application, please refer to the Transfer Requirements.

How do I schedule a DMV Inspection for my Vehicle?

The Base/Authority you are affiliated to must request an appointment via our website at: www.nyc.gov/tlcappointment.

What do I need to do to have my vehicle inspected at Staten Island?

To have your vehicle inspected at one our TLC approved Staten Island Inspection facilities, your base must submit an appointment request on our website for an inspection after your vehicle application has been processed.

Only vehicles affiliated to a Staten Island Base can request to have their vehicles inspected at Staten Island. 

If my application is not approved, do I get a refund? 

No. All fees are Non-Refundable. You do not get the money returned to you, regardless of whether your application is approved or not.

Do I need to live in New York State to register my vehicle for a TLC Vehicle permit? 

You may register a vehicle from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania.  Out of state vehicles must already have taxi/livery plates and meet the insurance requirements set by NYC TLC.  For additional information, please refer to the Vehicle Insurance Requirements.

How can I terminate a vehicle or a Street Hail Livery (SHL) affiliation from my FHV Base?

You must notify the vehicle owner or SHL Permit holder of the termination.

There are two ways to do this:

  1. You can submit a Termination of Affiliation Form that is signed by the base and vehicle owner or SHL permit.
  2. If you cannot get the vehicle owner or SHL permit holder to sign, you must give them notice in writing. A letter must be sent to the vehicle owner or SHL permit holder, using certified mail, to the address that matches the address that the TLC has on file. You will need to show proof you sent the letter when you request the termination of affiliation. Please see Sample Letter of Termination of Vehicle Affiliation for your convenience.

    You must submit the ‘Termination of Affiliation Form’ (and letter if applicable) to the TLC by fax to 718.391.5786 or by scanning and emailing the documents to: terminate@tlc.nyc.gov.

How can I terminate a vehicle affiliation from my Paratransit Base or Commuter Van Authority?

To remove a Paratransit or Commuter Van vehicle from your base records (un-affiliate), you must fill out the Electronic Vehicle Termination of Affiliation Form.

What do I need to know about vehicle insurance requirements?

There are minimum insurance levels your vehicle must possess based on the type of vehicle you own and the vehicle’s seating capacity. Please refer to Vehicle Insurance Requirements for further information.

Where can I find information about the New York State Department of Motor Vehicle Transportation Network Company (TNC) program?

For information about the NYSDMV TNC program, please go here

These FAQs are for informational purposes only, and are not a full statement of your rights, duties, and obligations under TLC Rules and applicable law. In the event that any of the information contained in these FAQs is not current or otherwise incorrect, the TLC’s Rules and applicable laws govern. The TLC’s Rules can be found on our website at  www.nyc.gov/tlc.