On-Line Transactions (LARS) Printer Friendly Format Newsletter Sign-up Translate This Page Text Size Small Medium Large

Apply for a License
Upload Documents (TLC UP)
Pay Renewal Fee
Pay Summons
Pay Other Fees
Update License Information
Additional Information

Lost Property Search

Register to Vote
FAQs - Bases / Businesses

What do I need to do to open a Base/Business?

You will need to schedule an appointment with the Business Unit. A Business Unit representative will sit down with you and go over your application and all requirements. To download an application and to obtain additional information on requirements, please visit the Base / Business page to obtain additional information and to download an application. To self-schedule an appointment please go here.

How many Base/Business license types are there?

These are the Base/Business license types available:
  1. Livery Base
  2. Black Car Base
  3. Luxury Base
  4. Commuter Van Authority
  5. Paratransit Base
  6. Agent / Broker
  7. Taximeter / Manufacturer
  8. Livery Passenger Enhancement Program (LPEP)
  9. Taxicab Technology System(TPEP)
  10. Electronic Hail (EHAIL)
  11. Dispatch Service Provider (DSP)

How much does it cost to open a Base/ Business?

Fees vary depending on the type of Business:
  • Livery Base - Application fee of $1,500 for a three (3) year license.
  • Black Car or Luxury Base - Application fee of $1,500 for a three (3) year license, in addition to Fingerprint fees per officer with 10% or more shares or title holder.
  • Paratransit - Application fee of $1,500 for a three (3) year license.  
  • Commuter Van - Application fees of $550 for a two (2) year license.
  • Agent / Broker - Application fee of $500 for a one (1) year license.
  • Taximeter - Application fee of $500 for a one (1) year license.
  • TPEP – Application fee of $500 for a one (1) year license.
  • LPEP – Application fee of $500 for a one (1) year license.
Please visit the Base / Business page to obtain additional information and to download an application.

Can a Base/Business receive correspondence from TLC by e-mail? 

Yes. All Base / Businesses are required to provide the TLC with a working email in order to receive  correspondence from the TLC.

What is a Certificate of Convenience? And where can I get one? 

For Paratransit ONLY. You will need to obtain this letter from the New York State Department of Transporation (NYSDOT) prior to submitting your application.  Please contact NYSDOT at: 518.457.6503 for more information on how to obtain this letter.

How long does it take to process an application? 

A Livery Base application, once the internal Agency review is completed, must be submitted to the Commission for approval.  This will be done at the next upcoming Commission Meeting after the review is completed.  Once the Commission approves the issuance of a license (New and Renewal) there is a 90-day waiting period for City Council approval.  No license can be issued by the Agency until the 90-day waiting period is over, the Base cannot operate during the 90-day waiting period.

All other Base/Business Licensing types, the application process must be completed within 90 days of the of the date the application is filed. The application will be denied if all requirements are not met within 90 days of the date the application was filed.

Can the Base name of a closed Base be re-used to re-open it again at the same location or different  address? 

Yes, as long as the owners of the closed base are the same as the new base.

Why do I have to wait 90 days before I get my Livery Base license? 

The City Council’s final review of the Commission’s approval takes 90 days.

Do I have to own all of the cars that will be working on my Base?

No, you do not have to own the vehicles affiliated to your Base. 

What is the difference between a Luxury and Black Car base?

A Black Car Base is a For-Hire Base that dispatches on a pre-arranged basis.  Their vehicles are owned by franchisees of the base or are members of a cooperative that operates the Base and more than ninety percent (90%) of the base’s business is on a payment basis other than direct cash payment by a passenger.

A Luxury Limousine Base is a For-Hire Base that operates vehicles that are dispatched from the Base by pre-arrangement. The vehicles have a seating capacity of 20 or fewer passengers.  A Luxury Base has more than ninety percent (90%) of its business on a payment basis other than direct cash payment by the passenger.  Passengers are charged “garage to garage” service on the basis of a flat rate, time or mileage.

How do I update my e-mail address?

Please e-mail the business unit at BusinessUnit@tlc.nyc.gov.  However, for phone number updates, you will need to show proof of your new telephone number.  This can done by showing us a telephone bill or letter from your provider that service was activated with the new number.

How do I obtain a password in order to request appointments online?

The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission requires you to have a password in order for you to request an appointment to submit a New or Transfer vehicle Application or to request an Inspection Appointment on behalf of a vehicle affiliated to your Base. If you would like to request a new password, change a current password or would like to be re-issued your current password you must fill out an Affirmation to Request an Internet Password. For additional information, please refer to the Base / Authority Internet Password Guide.

How do I know if the name chosen for my business is acceptable? Do I need to notify the TLC about thename of my business?

You must fill out the Name Inquiry or Name Reservation Request Form before an application can be submitted for consideration of an entity name (New Application or Name Change Application). Please visit the Base / Business page for additional information.

What is an Environmental Assessment Statement (EAS) and who needs one?

For Livery Base ONLY The EAS is required if only if you are establishing a new Livery Base Station or relocating an existing one. The EAS evaluates the potential impact of a new or relocating Livery base station and/or its Off Street Parking (OSP) facility on the local environment/ community. Additional information is available on the  Environmental Assessment Statement (EAS) How to Guide and the Livery Base Licensing Page.

What is a Comprehensive Operating Plan (COP) 

For Livery Base ONLY A Comprehensive Operating Plan (COP). This document communicates base’s relationship with the community and it services. In the COP, you will detail the mass transit options in the area your base will operate, your anticipated volume of calls and business, the number of vehicles you will operate.  To obtain the additional information on SOP requirements, visit the Livery Base Licensing Page.

Where can I find information about the New York State Department of Motor Vehicle Transportation Network Company (TNC) program?

For information about the NYSDMV TNC program, please go here

These FAQs are for informational purposes only, and are not a full statement of your rights, duties, and obligations under TLC Rules and applicable law. In the event that any of the information contained in these FAQs is not current or otherwise incorrect, the TLC’s Rules and applicable laws govern. The TLC’s Rules can be found on our website at  www.nyc.gov/tlc.