Host: Beach Channel High School, Queens
Workshop date: March 11, 2013
More than one hundred community members attended, providing on-the-ground insight that helped our Community Rebuilding and Resiliency Team develop a deeper understanding of the priorities and challenges confronting neighborhoods along the Rockaway Peninsula.
Overall, out of the various task force and other meetings and public workshops attended by SIRR staff in the spring of 2013, several priorities for SIRR in South Queens clearly emerged:
- The importance of providing coastal protection measures on the ocean and bay;
- The importance of clarifying uncertainty over availability of resources to retrofit, repair and rebuild homes;
- The importance of addressing concern over future flood insurance rates;
- The importance of providing small business support;
- The importance of expanding transit options; and
- The importance of sustaining the momentum of recent summers.
Do you have your own comments or photos to send us? Please do so here.