Host: P.S. 43, Queens
Workshop date: March 18, 2013
Despite the snow, around one hundred community members attended, providing on-the-ground insight that helped our Community Rebuilding and Resiliency Team develop a deeper understanding of the priorities and challenges confronting Far Rockaway.
Overall, out of the various task force and other meetings and public workshops attended by SIRR staff in the spring of 2013, several priorities for SIRR in South Queens clearly emerged:
- The importance of providing coastal protection measures;
- The importance of clarifying uncertainty over availability of resources to retrofit, repair and rebuild homes;
- The importance of expanding transit options;
- The importance of providing small business support; and
- The importance of creating jobs and access to job training and educational opportunities for local community members.
Do you have your own comments or photos to send us? Please do so here.