Host: CYO-MIV Community Center, 6541 Hylan Boulevard
Workshop date: March 6, 2013
Despite inclement weather, residents attended to provide on-the-ground insight that helped our Community Rebuilding and Resiliency Team develop a deeper understand of the priorities and challenges of Staten Island’s South Shore.
Overall, out of the various task force and other meetings and public workshops attended by SIRR staff in the spring of 2013, several priorities for SIRR in Staten Island clearly emerged:
- The importance of developing coastal/shoreline protections, while still ensuring access to the waterfront to the public;
- The importance of protecting low-lying areas, exploring more effective drainage systems, including Bluebelts;
- The importance of developing programs to address the financial and physical challenges of rebuilding homes;
- The importance of revitalizing local business corridors and waterfronts and marinas; and
- The importance of preserving neighborhood character and affordability during neighborhood recovery and rebuilding.
Do you have your own comments or photos to send us? Please do so here.