Printer Friendly Email a Friend Translate this Page Newsletter Sign-Up Text Size: Sm Med Lg
NYC Small Business Services
Search
Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, March 7, 2007


NYC DEPT. OF SMALL BUSINESS SERVICES ANNOUNCES FUNDING TO HELP LOCAL ORGANIZATIONS LAUNCH "NYC CLEAN STREETS" PROGRAMS

The New York City Department of Small Business Services today announced the launch of NYC Clean Streets, a two-year capacity-building program which will provide funding to partner organizations to implement sanitation and maintenance programs in commercial corridors. The program is intended to launch and nurture long-term initiatives by local organizations to maintain clean streets.

"Clean streets, sidewalks and storefronts are the foundation of any viable commercial corridor," said Robert Walsh, Commissioner of the New York City Department of Small Business Services. "Through this program, we will not only fund the sanitation and maintenance of commercial corridors over the next two years, but also develop the management, fundraising and marketing capabilities of local organizations, so that they are capable of sustaining independent 'clean streets' programs."

Funding for the sanitation and maintenance programs will be provided in full by the City for the first year of the program. In the second year, the City will contribute 75 percent of program funding and participating organizations will raise funds for the remaining 25 percent. Participating organizations will be required to meet milestones at six month intervals throughout the course of the program.

Local organizations can receive applications for participation in the program at www.nyc.gov or by calling 311. The application deadline is March 31. Cleaning services are expected to begin in November 2007.



  Contact:
Kara Alaimo
212-513-6318