If your home has been damaged by Hurricane Sandy, only hire licensed professionals to help you reconstruct your home. It is important to be aware of predatory scams that attempt to take advantage of your situation or recovery efforts. Below are a few tips from the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA):
1) Never use a contractor who isn't licensed by DCA.
2) Insist on more than one reference -and check them.
3) Use written estimates and contracts.
4) Don't pay the full price upfront and don't pay cash-protect yourself with installment payments
5) Repair loans through contractors are such a bad idea they're illegal.
6) Trust your instincts-don't give in to high pressure tactics.
To check if a home improvement contractor is licensed, visit: Instant License Check (DCA)
To see a sample home improvement contract, visit: Home Improvement Estimate and Final Contract (in PDF, DCA)
To learn more about licensed contractors, visit: Home Improvement Consumer Guide (in PDF, DCA)
For resources on New York State licensed electricians, plumbers, architects and engineers, visit: Finding a Licensed Professional (DOB)
For information on selecting and working with an architect, visit: