Application for a Search and/or Certified Copy of a Birth Record Before 1910
To request a search and certified copy, please use our secure online order form. All your payment information will be safely encrypted.
Request a Search and Certified Copy Online
If you already have a certificate number, use the form below to order a certified copy.
Request a Certified Copy Online
You may also send us your request by mail. Download the form below and follow the instructions provided.
Request a Search and/or Certified Copy by Mail - (in PDF)
|Issuance of certified copy, when certificate number is provided, or search of birth record, in one year, and in one Borough, for one name and issuance of one certified copy, or "not found" statement||$15.00|
|Per additional year to be searched in one Borough for the same name||$2.00|
|Per additional Borough to be searched in one year for the same name||$2.00|
|Per additional copy of record||$10.00|
|Per “Letter of Exemplification” to be appended to certified copy||$5.00|
- Always provide as specific information as possible about the birth event. Precise and accurate information enables us to perform a thorough search and will result in a greater likelihood of locating the certificate.
- Approximately 25% of all births prior to 1910 were not reported to the city. Births often took place at home and the doctor or midwife sometimes failed to report the event to the appropriate civil office. If the search results are negative, you will receive a "not found" notice.
- The Bronx did not exist as a separate Borough until 1898. New York City (Manhattan) annexed the area west of the Bronx River in 1874 and annexed the area east of the Bronx River in 1895. For birth records in those areas after the date of annexation, through 1897, specify a search of Manhattan records.
- Birth records prior to 1857 are not indexed. Please provide the month, day and year of birth for Manhattan birth searches from 1847-48; and 1853-1856.
- Note that pre-1866 Manhattan births were recorded in ledger book format; the following information was recorded: date of birth, parents' names (but not mother's maiden name), child's name, color and gender; place of birth, and name of medical attendant
- Please allow between four to six weeks to process a vital record request
Shipping & Handling
Effective December 15, 2009:
|Up to $14.99||$2.50|
|$15.00 - $29.99||$3.50|
|$30.00 - $44.99||$4.50|
|$45.00 - $59.99||$5.50|
|$60.00 - $79.99||$6.50|
|$80.00 - $109.99||$8.50|
|$110.00 - $119.99||$11.00|
|$120.00 and up||$15.00|
International: Double above S&H charges.