Beginning in Fiscal Year 2010, the Mayor’s Office of Operations’ Street Condition Observation Unit (SCOUT) visited and rated agency walk-in centers. SCOUT inspectors rated 24 different conditions at walk-in centers, including cleanliness, clarity of signage, professionalism of staff, queuing methods, and language access.
Agency CORE Scores are displayed on a range of 0 to 100, and are based on a four-point scale: Excellent=100; Good=67; Fair=33; Poor=0 (see diagram below).
Scores are calculated in three ways:
- Overall Score: The agency CORE facility rating is an average taken from the total score for all walk-in centers inspected divided by the number of walk-in centers inspected. Facilities are rated on 24 different conditions by trained inspectors. Conditions rated include physical conditions (e.g., cleanliness, litter, and seating) and customer service conditions (e.g., wait time, professionalism).
- Cleaning/Maintenance Score: The agency Cleaning/Maintenance score is the average of the ratings for the following conditions: lighting, floor/carpeting, walls, windows, ceiling, restrooms, graffiti, and litter/trash.
- Facility Operations Score: The agency Facility Operations score is the average of the rating for the following conditions: security guards, queuing process, front-line staff, LEP access, facility signage, seating availability, seating cleanliness/condition.
- 2010 - 2013 CORE agency scores.
About the agencies and sites rated through the CORE program:
- Business Integrity Commission site includes its central licensing unit
- Department of Citywide Administrative Services sites include its civil service certification walk-in centers, application and testing centers, retail stores, and office of vendor relations
- Office of the City Clerk sites include its borough offices
- City Commission on Human Rights sites include its human rights community service centers and central human rights complaints center
- Civil Complaint Review Board site includes its civilian complaints intake center
- Department of Consumer Affairs sites include its licensing center, complaint intake and mediation center, collections center, and administrative tribunal
- Department of Citywide Planning sites include its borough offices, retail store, and zoning information desk
- Department of Environmental Protection sites include its customer service borough offices and central customer service office
- Department for the Aging sites include its senior employment center and resource center
- Department for the Homeless sites inspected include its intake centers
- Department of Buildings sites include its borough offices, licensing and permitting units, inspection and enforcement units, cashiering and billing units, and information and records units
- Department of Education sites include its student enrollment offices, colocated Children First Networks (former integrated service centers), and special education office
- Department of Finance sites include its borough payment centers, City register office, court and trust office, and cash bail unit
- Department of Health and Mental Hygiene sites include its tuberculosis centers, STD service offices (including an STD-HIV clinic), early intervention offices, immunization clinics, birth certificate office, death certificate office, birth and death certificate corrections office, health academy, and food safety and community sanitation office.
- Department of Investigation sites include its complaint intake unit and finger print unit
- Department of Records and Information Services sites include its library and archives center
- Department of Parks and Recreation sites include its recreation centers, borough permit offices, indoor swimming pools, and marinas
- Department of Transportation sites include its borough permit offices, Citywide permit office, permit office for people with disabilities, ferry passenger office, and construction mitigation and coordination office
- Department of Parks and Recreation sites include its recreation centers, borough permit offices, indoor swimming pools, marinas
- Fire Department of New York sites include its certificate of fitness testing unit and public records office
- Department of Housing Preservation and Development sites include its neighborhood preservation offices, code enforcement offices, colocated neighborhood preservation and code enforcement offices, Section 8 office, and its property management office
- Human Resources Administration sites include its job centers, food stamp offices, Medicaid offices (some located within a HHC hospital), child support enforcement borough offices and child support enforcement courthouse offices
- Mayor's Office to Combat Domestic Violence sites include its family justice centers
- Mayor's Office of Film, Theater and Broadcasting site inspected includes its permit center
- Mayor's Office of Veterans' Affairs site includes its veterans' affairs office
- New York City Housing Authority sites include its application and tenancy administration offices, management borough offices, social services offices, resident employment services office, prevailing wage enforcement office, service for people with disabilities office, minority-owned and small business enterprise office, and its equal employment and fair housing investigation office
- New York Police Department sites include its tow pounds, license divisions (firearms), and property clerk office
- Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings sites include its Environmental Control Board borough branch offices and OATH central administrative tribunal
- Department of Small Business Services sites include its Workforce1 Career centers and NYC Business Solutions centers
- Taxi & Limousine Commission sites include its court administration offices, licensing facilities, and its safety and emissions facility