Office of Payrol Administration

Get Adobe PDF Reader
 (required to view PDFs)

Frequently Asked Questions:

How does the Park-n-Ride Program work? 

After you enroll in the Park-n-Ride Program, your elected deduction amount will be taken from your wages every pay day. Your deductions will be credited to your Parking Account at WageWorks, the City’s Transit Benefit provider.  You select your Park-n-Ride payment option on the WageWorks website. The deadline for making your choice each month is the 10th of the month.  For example, you make your Park-n-Ride choice for February by January 10th.  You can sign up for recurring monthly payments to your parking provider by selecting the frequency of “Every Month” and you will get the same order every month until you change or cancel it.


Are there any service fees for this program?

Yes, there is an Administrative Fee of $3.05/month a $36.60 maximum annual cost, for account maintenance and transaction costs. The Administrative Fee is a post-tax deduction. It will be deducted from your pay when you are enrolled in this plan and deductions are being contributed to your Parking Account. 


How is my W-2 affected?

Your taxable wages in Box 1, Social Security and Medicare wages in Boxes 3 and 5, and state and local wages in Boxes 16 and 18 will be reduced by the value of the pre-tax Transportation Deductions from your pay. The amount will be labeled “IRC132” in box 14. Your wages will not be adjusted by the value of Administrative Fee Deductions.


What parking expenses are eligible under the Park-n-Ride Option?

Parking expenses at or near a public transportation stop or station that you use to commute to work.  You must be enrolled in one of the other Commuter Benefits Program plans in order to participate in the Park-n-Ride option. You may fund your parking account with pre-tax dollars up to $255 per month. Pre-tax and post-tax deductions for the Park-n-Ride program are kept in a separate account for you at WageWorks and cannot be comingled with your Transit Account.


What parking expenses are not eligible?

Parking expenses that are not directly related to your commute to work on public transportation are not eligible.  This includes parking at/or near your home or work location and any personal parking expenses that are unrelated to work.  Only work-related parking is eligible for the special tax treatment of this program.  


What payment options are available for Park-n-Ride?

There are several payment options available under the Park-n-Ride plan.  The payment option that is right for you depends on the parking provider at your public transportation stop or station.  

  • Pay My Parking -- if you pay for a monthly permit for parking at your station or stop, you can sign up for direct payments to that parking provider. 
  • Parking Card -- if your parking provider accepts debit or credit cards, you can use this option to pay daily or monthly parking.
  • Pay Me Back -- if your parking provider only accepts cash and the other options above won’t work for your provider, you can also submit receipts and be reimbursed for your out-of-pocket expenses.

Pay My Parking - Monthly Parking Permits

How does Pay My Parking work?
If you pay a monthly amount for your Park-n-Ride permit, you can have a payment sent directly to your provider from the funds in your account.   Tell WageWorks how much you pay your parking garage or lot each month and they will send a payment directly to them each month on your behalf. All you need to do is place a one-time order (that you can change or cancel in the future).   

If I use Pay My Parking, do I still need to submit receipts?
No. One of the convenient aspects of the Pay My Parking service is that it eliminates the need for you to submit receipts.

What happens if I leave City employment?
If you have enrolled in the Pay My Parking option, your access to the remaining funds in your parking account is limited to funds withheld from your paycheck and allocated to parking expenses prior to your separation date as you will no longer have access to funds after your separation date.

Parking Card

How does the Parking Card work?
The Parking Card is a stored value card that works like a credit card at parking providers who accept credit cards. Your Parking Card can be used at parking providers only and you cannot use it to purchase transit passes.

Is the Parking Card a credit card?
No, the Parking Card is a MasterCard® stored value card, which works just like a credit card at parking providers. There is no line of credit available, and your personal credit is unaffected by use of the card - only the funds you elect to put on the card are available for use.

What should I do if my parking facility doesn't accept credit cards?
You should use our Pay My Parking feature to pay for monthly parking or the Pay Me Back feature for non-monthly parking.

What happens if I leave City employment?
You will no longer have access to the funds on your Parking Card, or parking account, after your separation date so you will want to keep this in mind and manage your balance accordingly.

Pay Me Back/Claims

How does Pay Me Back work?
You can log on to your account on the WageWorks Web site and click on the "Request Pay Me Back" link under Manage My Account on the Commuter Overview page. You'll be linked to information on how to file a paper (if you have receipts) or online (if you don't have receipts) claim. Both claims are easy to complete and submit.

When can I submit claims?
You can only submit your claim on or after the first day of the benefit month when you will use the service. For example, February 1st for the February benefit month.

When will I receive my reimbursement?
Your claim will be processed within 2 business days of receipt. If your claim is approved, your reimbursement will be sent to you by direct deposit or check.

How long do I have to use my Pay Me Back account?
You have 6 months following the end of the benefit month to file claims to get reimbursed from your Pay Me Back account. Be sure to check the deadline for each benefit month on the Account Activity page for this account. If you have a balance remaining after the deadline, you will receive a credit in that amount which will be credited back to your parking account.

What happens if I leave City employment?
If you have enrolled in the Pay Me Back option, your access to the remaining funds in your parking account is limited to funds allocated to expenditures prior to your separation date. You may still make claims for the months you were employed but may not claim expenses for benefit months that begin after your separation date.

How do I enroll in the Commuter Benefits Program Park-n-Ride plan?

For City employees to enroll in the Park-n-Ride program, go to NYCAPS Employee Self Service at or contact your agency's TransitBenefit Coordinator. For more information, visit For a list of City Agency TransitBenefit Coordinators click here.

Department of Education (DoE) employees can enroll at the DoE Web Employee Self Service/Web Payroll application that can be accessed through the internet using your DoE Outlook email id and password at You can also enroll by obtaining an enrollment form from the DoE website at DoE forms are mailed to the Department of Education, 65 Court Street, Room 1003, Brooklyn, NY 11201.

City University of New York (CUNY) Community College employees may download an enrollment form from the CUNY website at and contact your TransitBenefit Coordinator for processing and further information.

How can I check my Parking account balance?

There are several different options to access your Parking account balance with WageWorks:

  • By logging on to your account at
  • Call Customer Service at 1-877-WageWorks (1-877-924-3967) Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and follow the prompts to access your Parking account balance.  You will be required to provide the last four digits of your Employee Reference Number (ERN) and home zip code to access your balance via the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system.
  • You can also check your Parking account balance via their mobile site at


For additional information, contact:

  • For questions on your Park-n-Ride options, contact WageWorks at or call 1-877-WageWorks (1-877-924-3967) Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.  

Quick Links

 Payroll Earnings and Deductions Letter
 Form 1095-C 2015 Information
 W-2 Quick Reference Guide, 2015
 TransitBenefit Program
 Premium TransitChek MetroCard Plan returns!!
 Premium TransitChek MetroCard Ordering Information for the WageWorks Website
 TransitBenefit Commuter Savings Calculator
 2015 Holiday/Pay Calendar
 2016 Holiday/Pay Calendar
 2017 Holiday/Pay Calendar
 3-year Calendar 2014-2015-2016
 3-year Calendar 2015-2016-2017
 2015 Leave Accrual Calendar
 2016 Leave Accrual Calendar
 NYC Comptroller
 NYC Direct Deposit
 Citywide Time and Leave Library (only available when logged on to NYCNet)
 Employee Self Service