Printer Friendly Format Email a Friend

PR- 359-06
October 13, 2006


Names of 99 Additional Police Officers Who Died in the Line of Duty Dating Back to Mid-1800s Will Also Be Added to Memorial Wall

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly and Battery Park City Authority Chairman James Gill today honored Detective Dillon Stewart and Detective Daniel Enchautegui at a ceremony at the New York City Police Memorial in Battery Park City. Their names were inscribed on the memorial wall along with the names of 99 Police Officers who were killed in the line of duty as early as 1849. Historical additions to the memorial wall are part the Police Department's unwavering effort to fully delineate their own history and give the proper recognition to those who have previously served. The Mayor and Police Commissioner were joined by NYPD Chief of Department Joseph Esposito and NYPD First Deputy Commissioner George Grasso for the ceremony.

"Today we add the names of 101 of New York's Finest to the memorial wall to ensure that they will forever be remembered for their bravery and dedication to our City," said Mayor Bloomberg.  "Detectives Stewart and Enchautegui exhibited a fearless dedication to protecting their fellow New Yorkers and served the Police Department with honor and pride. Throughout the history of our City, the men and women of the NYPD have given their lives to protect ours. Today we add the names of another 99 Polices Officers. It is an honor to add the names of these officers whose sacrifices until now have been overlooked. Our City is forever grateful for their sacrifice and service."

"We will leave no stone unturned to see that any member of the Department who made the ultimate sacrifice as these men did receive the same honor," said Police Commissioner Kelly. "Not simply because of the circumstances of their deaths, but more importantly, to strengthen the cause to which they were devoted: the cause of defending civil society and their fellow human beings."

On Monday, November 28, 2005, Police Officer Dillon Stewart, 35, was patrolling the 70th Precinct in uniform and in an unmarked police car when he and his partner attempted to stop a motorist who had run a red light at the corner of Church and Flatbush Avenues in Brooklyn. Officer Stewart, who was driving at the time, was shot through the heart when the suspect fired five times at the Police Officers. Despite being mortally wounded, Officer Stewart continued to pursue the suspect to a garage at 100 East 21st Street. Several hours later, the suspect was apprehended at an apartment building a block away, where the illegal gun used to shoot Officer Stewart was also recovered.

Officer Stewart was transported to Kings County Hospital where he succumbed to the gunshot wound that penetrated the left ventricle of his heart. Allan Cameron, of 131 East 21st Street in Brooklyn, was charged with Officer Stewart's murder, as well as the attempted murder and robbery of off-duty Police Officer Wiener Philippe on November 19, 2005.

Officer Stewart was appointed to the NYPD on March 10, 2000 and was posthumously promoted to Detective. He was the recipient of four commendations for Excellent Police Duty. He is survived by his wife Leslyn and his two daughters, Alexis and Samantha.

On Saturday, December 10, 2005, off-duty Police Officer Daniel Enchautegui, 28, heard the sound of glass breaking from the house next door to his home in the Bronx. Officer Enchautegui called 911 and reported a burglary in progress, identifying himself as a New York City Police Officer. He provided a detailed description of the location and the clothes he was wearing. Officer Enchautegui then went outside to meet with police when he encountered the two suspects. An exchange of gunfire between the suspects and Officer Enchautegui ensued, resulting in all three men being struck.

A patrol car from the 45th Precinct heard the gun shots and immediately responded to the scene.  Upon arrival, they observed a male running towards a grey car parked on Westchester Avenue and Arnow Place. The suspect was apprehended and found to have a gunshot wound to the body. Officers then saw another male running towards them with a gun in his hand. The suspect was ordered to drop the weapon, at which point he fell to the ground. Officer Enchautegui was found lying in the driveway with a gunshot wound to the body, his gun lying at his side. His police shield was around his neck and a cell phone was in his hand. Officer Enchautegui was transported to Jacobi Hospital where he later died from his gunshot wound.

Police Officer Enchautegui was appointed to the NYPD on July 1, 2002 and was posthumously promoted to Detective. He is survived by his parents, Pedro and Maria Rosa, and sister, Yolanda Rosa Nazario.

The additional 99 names of Police Officers are being added after a long and painstaking research process. The majority of these deaths predate computers and even more basic record-keeping such as death certificates. Members of the Department's Personnel Bureau examined countless documents and archival newspaper records to ascertain who may have died in the line of duty and the details surrounding their deaths.

Some examples of Police Officers whose names were added to the wall include three that were killed during the Civil War Draft Riots in 1863. On July 19, 1863, Patrolman Edward Dippel was fatally shot while attempting to clear rioters who were looting the Gibbons House on 29th Street near 8th Avenue. Patrolman Peter McIntyre and Patrolman John T. Van Buren were beaten by rioters in separate events during the Draft Riots and both ultimately died from their injuries. Patrolman McIntyre died on August 9, 1863 and Patrolman Van Buren on November 7, 1863. Other examples include Officer Thomas Gleason and Patrolman Patrick K. Cushing who were both killed in the line of duty over 100 years ago.  On September 5, 1893, Officer Gleason was directing traffic at the intersection of Broadway and 10th Street when he was struck and run-over by a horse drawn cab. Officer Gleason sustained massive injuries from both the horse and the wheels of the cab, and was pronounced dead at the scene.

On October 28, 1904, Patrolman Cushing was the first responder to a fire that had broken out at the Bush Terminal. Patrolman Cushing entered the burning building to locate and rescue any victims. While conducting his search, Officer Cushing was cut off from his escape path and died in the fire.

The Police Memorial is dedicated to New York City Police Officers killed in the line of duty. It serves as a symbol of their life and death. There are more than 700 names inscribed on its wall.  The design is composed of two distinct parts in which water is used as a metaphor in both. A fountain and a flume represent the life of a police officer. The death of the Police Officer is commemorated in an outdoor room defined by two parallel granite walls and depressed thirty inches below the esplanade.


Stu Loeser / Virginia Lam   (212) 788-2958

Paul Browne   (Police Department)
(646) 610-6700

More Resources