Printer Friendly Format Email a Friend

PR- 443-05
November 30, 2005


Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly today announced the promotion posthumously of Police Officer Dillon Stewart to Detective, First Grade - the highest designation of Detective in the Police Department. Detective Stewart was shot and killed early Monday morning by an armed suspect he was attempting to stop after he ran a red light in the 70th Precinct in Brooklyn.

"It is an honor to posthumously promote Dillon Stewart to the rank of Detective, First Grade," said Mayor Bloomberg. "Throughout his all too short career, Dillon Stewart repeatedly displayed exceptional bravery and judgment and devotion to duty, and was awarded four commendations in just five years. He was an outstanding Police Officer who contributed immeasurably to keeping New York the safest big City in America, and is deserving of our praise and recognition."

"Dillon Stewart, though mortally wounded, helped bring his own killer to ground, demonstrating remarkable courage and tenacity in the finest tradition of the New York City Police Department," said Commissioner Kelly.

On Monday, November 28, 2005, Detective Stewart was patrolling the 70th Precinct in an unmarked police car, in uniform, when he and his partner attempted to stop a motorist who ran a red light at the corner of Church and Flatbush Avenues in Brooklyn. Detective Stewart who was driving, was shot through the heart when the suspect fired five times at the Police Officers. Despite being mortally wounded, Detective Stewart continued to pursue the suspect to a garage at 100 East 21st Street. A few hours later, the suspect was apprehended at an apartment building a block away, where the gun used to shoot Detective Stewart was also recovered. The bullet that struck Detective Stewart penetrated the left ventricle of his heart. Despite the efforts of the doctors at Kings County Hospital, Detective Stewart died from his injury at 8:40 a.m.

Allan Cameron, of 131 East 21st Street in Brooklyn, has been charged with Detective Stewart's murder, as well as the attempted murder and robbery of off-duty Police Officer Wiener Philippe on November 19, 2005.

Detective Stewart was appointed to the Police Department on March 10, 2000. He was the recipient of four commendations for Excellent Police Duty. He is survived by his wife Leslyn and his two daughters, Alexis, 6, and Samantha who is 5 months old.


Edward Skyler/Robert Lawson   (212) 788-2958

Paul Browne   (Police Department)
(646) 610-6700

More Resources