FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 16, 2005
MAYOR BLOOMBERG, FIRE COMMISSIONER SCOPPETTA AND POLICE COMMISSIONER KELLY JOIN CITY HARVEST AND MODELL'S TO KICK OFF 22nd ANNUAL "DAILY NEWS' READERS CARE TO FEED THE HUNGRY OF NEW YORK" CANNED FOOD DRIVE
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, Daily News Vice President of Promotion and Community Affairs John Campi and 77 WABC Radio Personality Curtis Sliwa today joined Modell’s CEO Mitchell Modell and City Harvest Executive Director Sally Hernandez Pinero to kick off of the 22nd Annual “Daily News’ Readers Care to Feed the Hungry of New York” canned food drive. The food drive, which is expected to feed approximately 440,000 people, was announced at Engine Company 7/Ladder Company 1 in Tribeca.
“Each day we work in partnership with the private and not for profit sectors, leaders of industry and national figures, to find ways where we can create a better City,” said Mayor Bloomberg. “As we go about our daily lives this holiday season, we must reach out and lend a hand to those in need. I applaud City Harvest, our City agencies and the great civic minded businesses who step-up each year and support this annual food drive.”
“The City Harvest food drive has become a regular part of the Fire Department's efforts to help keep New Yorkers safe and healthy. We're a proud partner in this great program,” said Commissioner Scoppetta. “Last year, New Yorkers stepped up and donated more than 200 tons of canned goods to firehouses and police precincts across the City. With the generosity of all New Yorkers, this year we hope to surpass that mark.”
“The men and women of the New York City Police Department are dedicated to protecting New Yorkers,” said Commissioner Kelly. “The Department’s service comes in a variety of forms and there is none more important than contributing to the communities we serve and helping to make sure that New Yorkers’ most basic needs are met. The entire membership of the NYPD is proud to lend support to City Harvest and the truly noble work they do.”
“The Daily News started this food drive because we saw that people in our city were hungry - and we were in a unique position to help,” said John Campi. “Our readers are incredibly generous and have been helping feed their fellow New Yorkers for 22 years. We continue the drive each year because hunger is still a major issue in our city.”
“On behalf of the thousands of hungry women, men and children who will be helped by Daily News Readers Care Food Drive, City Harvest thanks all of our partners who work so hard to make this city-wide effort a continued success,” according to Sally Hernandez Pinero.
Between November 16th and January 6, 2006, people will be able to drop off non-perishable foods at all New York City Firehouses, Police Precincts, the lobby of the Daily News (450 West 33rd Street), and all Modell’s Sporting Goods locations throughout the City. The annual food drive has grown to become the largest food drive in the City of New York. Last year alone, the drive collected more than 220 tons of canned goods and distributed it to various community programs to feed the City’s hungry.
Edward Skyler / Silvia Alvarez (212) 788-2958
View the photos
Watch the video in 56k or 300k