Printer Friendly Format Email a Friend

PR- 392-05
October 17, 2005


Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly today renamed West 35th Street, between 8th and 9th Avenues, after NYPD Police Officer Anthony T. Dwyer.  Joining the Mayor at the announcement were the parents, brother and sister, friends and former colleagues of Police Officer Dwyer.  Police Officer Dwyer died on October 17, 1989 while trying to apprehend an armed robber.  He was 23 years old and had been assigned to the Midtown South Precinct for a year and a half

"Police Officer Dwyer exemplified what it meant to be one of New York's Finest," said Mayor Bloomberg. "During his time on the beat in Midtown South, he proved he was a consummate professional whom others could depend on.  He was an aggressive and determined Officer and paid the ultimate price working to keep our streets safer.  Having his name outside his old command for all to see will forever remind us of the courage and dedication he exhibited."

"In the short time Anthony was with us, he made a lasting impression as a model officer with a generous heart," said Commissioner Kelly.  "And from now on, people walking here need only look up at this sign to see the name Anthony Dwyer and be reminded of a true hero of New York City."

On October 17, 1989, Police Officer Dwyer and other Police Officers were informed by an employee at a McDonald's restaurant, 552 7th Avenue, Manhattan, that an armed robbery was in progress. The officers entered the restaurant to search for three gunmen. Two of the thieves ran down to the basement. The third fled up a ladder to the roof with Officer Dwyer in pursuit.  As Police Officer Dwyer stepped through the hatch door onto the rooftop, he began struggling with the gunman. Officer Dwyer was pushed into the airshaft and fell 40 feet to the ground. For the next 40 minutes, a cross section of emergency personnel struggled to extricate the badly injured Dwyer. However, their efforts were in vain. The 23 year old Dwyer, appointed to the Department on April 28, 1987, was pronounced dead at Bellevue Hospital.

Four men were arrested on charges of murder, burglary, robbery, assault and possession of a weapon. One of them, Eddie Matos, who pushed Dwyer into the airshaft, was sentenced to 25 years to life.


Edward Skyler / Robert Lawson   (212) 788-2958

Paul Browne   (Police Department)
(646) 610-6700

More Resources
Watch the video in 56k or 300k