Printer Friendly Format Email a Friend

PR- 176-05
May 9, 2005


Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly today honored Sergeant Keith A. Ferguson, Detective Robert L. Parker, Detective Patrick H. Rafferty and Police Officer William Rivera by adding their names to the Memorial Wall at One Police Plaza.  Their families joined the Mayor and Commissioner at the ceremony.

"The four officers we honor today served New York City with bravery, honor and dedication and contributed immeasurably to keeping New York the safest big City in America," said Mayor Bloomberg.  "Between the four of them, they took guns off the street, kept drugs away from kids and brought criminals to justice - making more than 1,300 arrests during their distinguished careers.  Those that walk by the Memorial Wall will be reminded of their sacrifice and all they did for their fellow New Yorkers."

"If anyone wants to know why New York City is safer today than in anytime in recent memory, they need to look no further than the accomplishments of the four officers we honor today," said Commissioner Kelly.  "We are indebted to them for their exceptional bravery and devotion to duty. Their legacy lies in the enduring example they leave us."

On Saturday, January 31, 2004, Sergeant Keith A. Ferguson, 38, a 17-year veteran assigned the Emergency Service Squad 7 collapsed while running to assist fellow officers in the apprehension of a fleeing suspect in downtown Manhattan. He was transported to St. Vincent's Hospital, where he died a short time later as a result of cardiac arrest.  Sergeant Ferguson joined the NYPD on January 20, 1987 and began his career on patrol in the 1st Precinct. He was promoted to Detective in September of 1990 and Sergeant in October of 1998. He also served in Field Training Unit 3, the 67th Precinct, the Narcotics Division, Auto Crime Division, and the Emergency Service Unit (ESU). At the time of his death, Sergeant Ferguson was a member of the elite Hercules Team, a heavily armed, citywide counter-terrorism unit.

Sergeant Ferguson interrupted his NYPD service in 1997 to travel to Bosnia for one year to help establish a civilian police force in the aftermath of unrest in that country.  Sergeant Ferguson's hobbies included motorcycling and traveling the world.  Born in Brooklyn, Sergeant Ferguson is survived by his father Victor, a retired NYPD Officer, mother Sonia Cunningham-Hendriks and brother Laird.

On September 10, 2004, Detective Robert L. Parker and his partner, Detective Patrick H. Rafferty, of the 67th Detective Squad, were shot and killed while attempting to arrest a career criminal on domestic violence charges.  Although mortally wounded, Detective Parker was able to identify the gunman to a 911 operator. He also directed the dispatcher to a mug shot of the killer located on the dashboard of their police vehicle. Detective Rafferty, who was also mortally wounded, managed to shoot and wound the gunman.  These actions greatly assisted in the capture of the killer in less than two hours.

Detective Parker, 43, was appointed to the Department on January 25, 1982, and began his career on patrol in Neighborhood Stabilization Unit 13 in the 81st Precinct. He also served in the Brooklyn North Task Force and the Narcotics Division. He was promoted to Detective in 1987, the same year he was assigned to the 67th Detective Squad where he remained until the time of his death. He made over 500 arrests during his career and was promoted to Detective 2nd Grade in 2000 and posthumously promoted to Detective First Grade. Prior to fulfilling his childhood dream of becoming a detective, Detective Parker attended John Jay College and wrestled in a semi professional league under the name Bootsie Parker.  Detective Parker who resided in Brooklyn, is survived by his former spouse Loretta Davis, daughter Haadiyah Davis and first cousin Dorothy Thompson.

Detective Rafferty, 39, was appointed to the Department on July 5, 1989 and began his career on Patrol in Midtown Precinct North. He also served in Midtown Precinct South, the 9th Precinct, the Street Crime Unit and the PBQS Anti-Crime Unit. He was transferred to the 67th Detective Squad in 1999, the same year he was promoted to Detective.  Detective Rafferty was a consummate family man, attended the University of Central Florida and earned a BA in Criminal Justice.  He also had a great love for the outdoors, was an avid hunter and enjoyed family camping trips to the Adirondack Mountains.  Det. Rafferty, who made over 400 arrests during his career, was posthumously promoted to Detective First Grade. He resided in Suffolk County and is survived by his wife Eileen and their three children Kara, Kevin and Emma, his mother Joan and five siblings, Kevin, Brian, Dennis, Henry and Colleen Albanese.

On Saturday October 2, 2004, P.O. William Rivera, 35, a 12-year veteran assigned to the 78th Precinct, was pursuing a suspect in Brooklyn when he fell from the rooftop of a commercial business. The fall resulted in serious injuries to his legs and back. Officer Rivera underwent several surgeries to repair the damage. Almost eight weeks later on November 24, Officer Rivera suffered a seizure due to a blood clot that traveled from his leg to his lungs. He died a short time thereafter.

P.O. Rivera joined the NYPD on Jun 30, 1992. He began his career in the 79th Precinct where he served with distinction for his entire career. He earned several commendations for his work and made over 260 arrests during the course of his career.  P.O. Rivera is survived by his five-year-old daughter Amanda Marie, mother Aurelia, sisters Margie and Evelyn, and fiancé P.O. Rebecca Rodriguez.


Edward Skyler/Robert Lawson   (212) 788-2958

Paul Browne   (Police Department)
(646) 610-6700

More Resources