Office of Labor Relations Office of Labor Relations

Get Adobe PDF Reader
 (required to view PDFs)
Health Benefits
Program Information > Assistance and Contacts

Employees should direct questions concerning eligibility, enrollment, paycheck deductions, or the Transfer Period, as well as requests for a Health Benefits Application, to their worksite agency health benefits, personnel or payroll office. Employees with questions relating to benefits, services, or claims should write or call their health plan. When writing to a health plan, include your name and address, certificate number, date(s) of service, and claim number(s), if applicable. Some plans also allow inquiries through their web sites.

Retirees with questions about benefits, services, or claims should write or call their health plan. When writing to the plan, give your certificate number, name and address. The Health Benefits Program is also available to provide service and information to City retirees who have questions about or problems with their health benefits or pension check deductions. Retirees contacting the Health Benefits Program should always include the following information:

• Name, Address and Telephone Number
• Social Security Number
• Pension Number

Whom Do I Contact after Retirement?

Retirees can contact the Health Benefits Program at:

City of New York Health Benefits Program
40 Rector Street - 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10006
(212) 513-0470
TTY/TDD: (212) 306-7753
Find out about retirement benefits
See the Health Benefits Program FAQ

When Should I Call/Write/Visit the Health Benefits Program?

  • For questions regarding deductions for health benefits taken from your pension check
  • To obtain applications to make changes to your coverage such as adding/dropping dependents, adding/dropping the optional rider, waiving health coverage and to change plans (excluding Medicare HMOs, which require a special application from the plan)
  • To obtain information and an application for COBRA benefits
  • To change your address
  • For notification of enrollment in Medicare
  • For questions regarding Medicare Part B premium reimbursements
  • If your health coverage has been terminated
  • If a dependent has been terminated from your health plan

When Should I Contact My Health Plan?
(Refer to your health plan identification card or plan booklet for telephone numbers.)

  • If you have questions regarding covered services
  • To obtain written information about covered service
  • For information about the status of pending claims or claim disputes
  • For claim allowances (How much will a plan pay towards a claim?)
  • If your health coverage has been terminated by your health plan
  • If a dependent has been terminated from your health plan
  • For health plan service areas
  • To obtain a special application in order to enroll in a Medicare HMO

When Should I Contact My Union/Welfare Fund?

For information about:
Prescription drug coverage (if applicable)

  • Eyeglass coverage
  • Dental benefits
  • Life Insurance (if applicable)


Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs)
EAPs are staffed by professional counselors who can help employees and their eligible dependents handle problems in areas such as stress, alcoholism, drug abuse, mental health, and family difficulties.

 Learn More
Quick Links

 PICA Program
 NYC Employee Blood Program
 Collective Bargaining Agreements
 OPA Web site