Your waiver will remain in effect unless you file an MSC Enrollment/Change Form indicating a Qualifying Event to withdraw from the Program.
Similarly, employees who have not enrolled in the Health Benefits Buy-Out Waiver Program may waive City health benefits coverage mid-year only if they incur a Qualifying Event.
The events listed below qualify you for mid-year changes:
Note: Participants will not be allowed to make changes inconsistent with the Qualifying Event.
- A change in family status such as marriage, divorce, annulment, or legal separation;
- The death of a participant, spouse/domestic partner or dependent;
- The birth or adoption of a child who will be the participant's dependent;
- The participant becomes divorced and is required under court order to provide health insurance coverage for eligible dependent children;
- The start or termination of employment (benefits) of participant or participant's spouse for any reason including retirement (Forms must be submitted to terminate the Health Benefits Buy-Out Waiver Program);
- A change in spouse's/domestic partner's coverage that is significant and outside the control of the spouse, e.g., benefit reduction (see reinstatement of City health benefits section);
- The participant's spouse/domestic partner has a change in employment status that results in a change of health insurance coverage, either acquiring or losing eligibility for coverage (See instructions for reinstatement);
- A change in employment status from part-time to full-time or vice-versa by the participant or the participant's spouse/domestic partner (increase above 20 hours or reduction below 20 hours in regular hours worked per week);
- The taking of, or returning from, an approved unpaid leave of absence by the participant or the participant's spouse/domestic partner;or
- An increase in the non-City group health insurance premium by more than 20%.
If you experience a Qualifying Event, contact your benefits or personnel officer within 30 days after the Qualifying Event to obtain the appropriate forms. Completed forms must be received by the MSC Administrative Office within that time period.
Download FSA Program Forms & Brochures
Read the Health Benefits Buy-Out Waiver Program FAQ
Learn more about reinstatement of benefits