Office of Labor Relations Office of Labor Relations

Get Adobe PDF Reader
 (required to view PDFs)
Flexible Spending Accounts Program
HCFSA > Mid-Year Changes

Under HCFSA, you must participate for the entire Plan Year. Keep in mind that you cannot decrease or discontinue your HCFSA Program contributions for any reason during the Plan Year, except if you cease employment.  You will be terminated from participation in the HCFSA Program if you cease employment with the City of New York. However, if you are adding new dependents, the Plan allows you to increase your goal amount.

To add new dependents, you must incur one of the following Qualifying Events:

  • Marriage; or
  • Adoption or birth of a child.
Should you acquire a new dependent during the Plan Year, you must notify the FSA Administrative Office by submitting an FSA Enrollment/Change Form, with proper documentation, within 30 days after acquiring a new dependent, in order for this dependent to be eligible under HCFSA.

If you do not advise the FSA Administrative Office that you have a new dependent, or do not include all your eligible dependents on your Enrollment/Change Form, then any claims submitted on behalf of such unreported dependents will be denied.

Agency Transfer
If you transfer agencies within the City or transfer to a City-related agency, you must notify the FSA Administrative Office at least 30 days prior to your transfer in order to continue your payroll deductions or re-calculate your remaining payroll deductions.

Missed Deductions
If you miss any payroll deductions, you must contact the FSA Administrative Office when you return to payroll in order to re-calculate the amount of your payroll deductions.

If for any reason deductions cannot be made from any paycheck, your annual contribution allocation will be decreased by the amount of any missed payroll deductions. You will not be entitled to increase subsequent deductions to replace those missed. Therefore, it is important to notify the FSA Administrative Office if you are not experiencing payroll deductions.

If you pass away during the Plan Year, the same conditions for termination as described above will apply. In addition, any claims for services provided before your death must be submitted by your spouse or your estate and will be paid to same. Documentation will be required.

Download FSA Program Forms and Brochures 

See the Flexible Spending FAQ


Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs)
EAPs are staffed by professional counselors who can help employees and their eligible dependents handle problems in areas such as stress, alcoholism, drug abuse, mental health, and family difficulties.

 Learn More
Quick Links

 PICA Program
 NYC Employee Blood Program
 Collective Bargaining Agreements
 OPA Web site