OER has a made a strong commitment to promoting green and sustainable remedial methods on cleanups performed in the NYC Voluntary Cleanup Program. To encourage this practice, OER introduced the Sustainability Statement to remedial planning and incorporated this statement in each Remedial Action Work Plan (cleanup plan). The Sustainability Statement identifies specific green and sustainable remediation efforts that will be implemented during the remedial action. While no specific sustainability actions are explicitly required, OER requests that each enrollee consider implementing a broad range of green and sustainable remediation measures. Specific areas that are considered include:
- reducing waste production, maximizing recycling and the reuse of clean materials;
- reducing the consumption of virgin and non-renewable resources;
- minimizing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions;
- improving energy efficiency;
- coordinating remediation with green building design;
- enhancing stormwater management and, where appropriate, gray water reuse; and
- enhancing ecology and biodiversity during landscaping of remediated sites.
Each enrollee is strongly encouraged to explore new ways to achieve sustainability goals.