OER has introduced a Sustainability Statement to the Remedial Action Work Plan, which identifies sustainability efforts that will be implemented during the remedial action. While no specific sustainability efforts are required, OER requests that each enrollee consider implementing Green Remediation measures. Specific areas that may be considered include:
- reducing waste production, maximizing recycling and the reuse of clean materials;
- reducing the consumption of virgin and non-renewable resources;
- minimizing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions;
- improving energy efficiency;
- coordinating remediation with green building design;
- enhancing stormwater management and, where appropriate, gray water reuse; and
- enhancing ecology and biodiversity during landscaping of remediated sites.
Each enrollee is strongly encouraged to explore additional ways to achieve sustainability goals beyond those previously outlined. OER will provide a template for the Community Protection Statement and the Sustainability Statement within the RAWP template that addresses these suggested areas.