Based on CIMS protocol, OEM's responsibilities lie in four areas.
- Ensure that a CIMS command structure is in place
- Ensure that interoperable communications are in use
- Coordinate release distribution of all resources
- Relay on-scene information to the EOC and the Mayor
- Support logistics and communications needs
- Facilitate transition of command and resolution of interagency differences
- In complex incidents where the lead agency is unclear, OEM identifies appropriate lead or leads
EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTER
- Activate the City's EOC in response to citywide or large-scale emergencies or events to centralize decision making, information sharing, and resource allocation.
- Organize and lead after-action reviews for incidents, if requested by a participating agency
- Issue, update and maintain the CIMS protocol to ensure consistency with the National Incident Management System
- Establish and maintain a CIMS training curriculum for use by all City agencies