While natural gas is odorless, a harmless chemical odor is added so leaks will be easy to detect.
IF YOU SMELL GAS:
- If the odor is strong, leave the premises IMMEDIATELY.
- Do not smoke or light lighters or matches. Do not use your telephone, switch on electrical appliances, lights, or even a flashlight in the area where you smell gas — any spark could cause a fire.
- If the odor is faint, open windows to air out the area before leaving.
CALL YOUR GAS PROVIDER TO REPORT A LEAK:
- Con Edison: 1-800-350-9346
- National Grid: 718-643-4050