Transportation and Infrastructure Planner
|Office Title: Transportation and Infrastructure Planner||Level: II|
|Civil Service Title: Emergency Preparedness Specialist||JVN: 017/13/211|
|Division/Work Unit: Planning & Preparedness - Transportation & Infrastructure||Salary Range: $60,000 - $70,000|
|Work Location: 165 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, NY 11201||Hours/Shift: M-F, 9-5|
|Number of Positions: 1|| |
This position is grant funded until August 14, 2014, with the possibility of an extension.
The New York City Office of Emergency Management is seeking an exceptional candidate to develop transportation and infrastructure components of emergency plans. The Project Manager will have broad responsibility to coordinate with and provide technical advice to City agencies regarding their emergency planning efforts for transportation and infrastructure emergencies. This includes identifying methods for protecting the public against hazards and for formulating a citywide emergency response to those hazards (policy creation, recommendation, and implementation), working with City agencies to identify roles and responsibilities and resolving gaps and overlaps. The selected candidate will maintain critical working relationships with agency and private sector partners. Under the supervision of the Director of Transportation & Infrastructure, the Project Manager is responsible for planning in the following areas:
- Hazard mitigation
- Post-event recovery and restoration
- Evacuation for coastal storms and no-notice events including maritime, roadways, and mass transit
- Transportation and utilities disruption planning
- Regional coordination
- Assist with Ready New York presentations to external groups
The selected candidate will be required to staff the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency activations and to work during non-business hours during emergencies. The candidate will also participate in drills and exercises and fulfill other duties as assigned.
- A master's degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences, or related field, and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire or police or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made, OR,
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time paid professional experience in one or a combination of the area listed in "1" above; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s department of education or a recognized accredited organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in "1" above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which the appointment is made.
NOTE: NYC Residency is required within 90 days of appointment. However, City employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Knowledge of and experience in applying the concepts, theories, principles and practices of emergency management.
- Experience with transportation planning, transportation engineering, and/or traffic modeling preferred.
- Experience with infrastructure and/or utility planning in an urban environment preferred.
Current City Employees: Apply via Employee Self-Service (ESS). Go to Recruiting Activities > Careers and search Job ID# 116105.
Non-City Employees/External Candidates: Apply via NYC Careers. Go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search Job ID# 116105.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted