Ready New York Outreach Coordinator
|Office Title: Ready New York Outreach Coordinator||Level: I|
|Civil Service Title: Emergency Preparedness Specialist||JVN: 017/13/209|
|Division/Work Unit: External Affairs, Ready New York||Salary Range: $55,000|
|Work Location: 165 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, NY 11201||Hours/Shift: M-F, 9-5|
|Number of Positions: 1|| |
This position is grant funded until August 31, 2014 with the possiblity of an extension.
The NYC OEM External Affairs Division within the New York City Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is dedicated to promoting emergency preparedness throughout New York City. The External Affairs Division’s Ready New York program is seeking a Ready New York Outreach Coordinator that will:
- Lead the strategic planning and outreach efforts focused on engaging the city’s immigrant population and people with limited English proficiency.
- Conduct Ready New York presentations and other related emergency preparedness events, with an emphasis on engaging immigrant communities and those with limited English proficiency. Conduct presentations for other targeted populations as needed, including seniors, special needs populations, and youth.
- Leverage partnerships within the NYC Citizen Corps Council and the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program to increase the capacity of the Ready New York Speaker’s Bureau to do presentations in languages other than English.
- Provide guidance and support to the NYC Citizen Corps Council chair on programming relating to engaging the immigrant community. Assist with the development of events/training and implementation of strategies to engage new and maintain the existing network of contacts throughout New York City’s diverse population.
- Act as OEM’s designated Language Access Coordinator. Work to ensure that OEM meets all requirements as defined in the City’s Executive Order 120. Responsibilities include maintaining the agency’s Language Access Plan and to serve as the liaison to the Citywide language Access Taskforce.
- Work with the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs and other relevant City agencies to ensure that immigrant concerns and language access are addressed throughout all stages of emergencies.
- Liaise with OEM’s Press Unit to ensure that ethic press is engaged throughout the year.
- Manage OEM’s translation contract and related projects as necessary.
The Ready New York Outreach Coordinator position requires a creative individual who has demonstrated excellent community development and communication skills. S/he must be a strong presenter and must be able to manage and coordinate multiple projects and initiatives concurrently, as well as contribute to program development. The position requires someone who has a working knowledge of New York City, its immigrant community and has shown commitment to developing community resiliency.
The selected candidate will be expected to work non-traditional hours to meet the program needs including some evenings and weekends. The candidate will also work non-traditional hours to manage citywide emergencies on his/her Emergency Operations Center Team.
- A master’s degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences or related field and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire or police, or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas described in "1" above; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in "1" above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which to appointment is to be made.
PLEASE NOTE: NYC Residency is required within 90 days of appointment. However, City employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putman, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County.PREFERRED SKILLS
- Experience coordinating community-based events, developing and managing a budget, record keeping, writing and reporting on grants; evaluation work preferred.
- Experience working with community groups and immigrant populations
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to contribute to program development
- Proficiency in one or more foreign languages commonly spoken in NYC
- Superior written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Master’s degree in public administration, social work or other related program area
- Ability to mediate and negotiate with individuals and groups
- Familiarity with disaster planning and preparedness
- Ability to prioritize and manage several projects simultaneously
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint)
Current City Employees: Apply via Employee Self-Service (ESS). Go to Recruiting Activities > Careers and search Job ID# 114766.
Non-City Employees/External Candidates: Apply via NYC Careers. Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search and search Job ID# 114766.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted