Logistics Coordinator, Planning & Emergency Supply Stockpile Assistant
|Office Title: Logistics Coordinator||Level: 06766|
|Civil Service Title: Emergency Preparedness Specialist||JVN: 017/13/213|
|Division/Work Unit: Technology/Logistics||Salary Range: $65,000 - 70,000|
|Work Location: 165 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, NY 11201||Hours/Shift: M-F, 9-5|
|Number of Positions: 1|| |
This position is grant-funded until August 31, 2014, with the possibility for an extension.
The New York City Office of Emergency Management (NYC OEM) is looking for an innovative person with a background in operations research, supply chain management, warehouse management, humanitarian relief operations, and/or other sectors of the logistics industry that would be able to contribute to NYC OEM’s disaster planning efforts. This position differs from the industry norm because the customers, sources of supply, and destinations can vary considerably depending on the emergency. From supporting disaster victims who need life sustaining supplies to assisting City agencies attempting to restore critical operations, the disaster Logistics Coordinator faces a unique challenge.
Under the supervision of the Director of Logistics, with wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, the Logistics Coordinator will increase capability to bring equipment and supplies into the City before, during, or after a disaster. The Logistics Coordinator will work closely with other units within OEM, as well as City, State, Federal, and non-governmental agency partners to develop and maintain existing operational logistics capabilities. The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Serve as the primary logistics planner for all citywide logistics plans.
- Develop new and update existing plans to execute logistics procedures in support of emergency operations (i.e., stockpiling, staging areas, base camps, commodities distribution, etc.).
- Manage the Logistics Center Program (i.e., work with agencies to maintain emergency staffing levels, train agencies on LC roles and responsibilities, and maintain LC facilities in a state of readiness).
- Complete a revised, comprehensive Citywide Logistics Plan
- Assist the Director of Logistics and the Emergency Supply Stockpile (ESS) Program Manager with all facets of the Logistics Shelter Support Plan (LSSP), including: ESS, Department of Education (DOE) Shelter Food Plan, Coastal Storm Plan (CSP) Administrative Supply Kits, etc.
- With the Emergency Supply Stockpile (ESS) Program Manager, develop, scope, evaluate, and establish emergency contingency contracts to support operations in coordination with the OEM Administration Division and the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS).
- With the ESS Program Manager, coordinate plan development and implementation, including the development of a Regional ESS (RESS) with the NYC Urban Area Working Group (UAWG) partners.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance the City’s plan for distributing the ESS pre-disaster, during an event, or post-disaster, along with rotation and reverse logistics of materiel.
- Conduct site visits and determine unique layouts for each location (e.g., shelter storage areas, staging areas, distribution points, etc.). Construct a supply chain timeline that includes time-phased deployment of assets.
- Develop relationships with Citywide Logistics Committee (CLC) liaisons and support the efforts of that group.
- Work with neighboring counties and the State and Federal governments to request and share assets during a disaster through Intrastate Mutual Aid Protocols (IMAP).
- Assist with Ready New York Presentations to external groups.
- Other special projects as assigned by the Director of Logistics.
The selected candidate will staff the City's Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency activations, and work during non-business hours during emergencies. The selected candidate will also participate in drills and exercises.
- A master's degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences, or related field, and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire or police or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made, OR,
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time paid professional experience in one or a combination of the area listed in "1" above; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s department of education or a recognized accredited organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in "1" above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which the appointment is made.
NOTE: NYC Residency is required within 90 days of appointment. However, City employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County.
- Experience in operations research, supply chain management, or humanitarian relief operations
- Experience developing a time-phased supply chain
- Experience working with private and public sector clients
- Experience managing multiple projects in a high pressure work environment
- Experience in general warehouse management
- Training in concepts of the Incident Command System (ICS) (100, 200, 300, 700, 800 levels preferred)
- Superior written and oral communications skills
- A valid passenger car driver license and the ability to drive to off-site locations when requested; Commercial driver license (CDL) a plus.
Current City Employees: Apply via Employee Self-Service (ESS). Go to Recruiting Activities -Careers. Search Job ID# 116111.
Non-City Employees/External Candidates: Apply via NYC Careers. Go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search Job ID# 116111.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.