Learning Technology Specialist
|Office Title: Learning Technology Specialist
|Civil Service Title: Emergency Preparedness Specialist
|Division/Work Unit: Planning & Preparedness — Training & Exercises
||Salary Range: $60,000- $75,000
|Work Location: 165 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, NY 11201
||Hours/Shift: M-F, 9-5
|Number of Positions: 1
This position is grant funded until August 31, 2015, with the possibility of an extension.
In support of the Training & Exercises division, the Learning Technology Specialist will be responsible for managing all learning technology initiatives, including administration of the agency Learning Management System (LMS) and development of e-learning programs. The Learning Technology Specialist will work with multiple OEM and City agency stakeholders in supporting these and other training programs. In addition, the Learning Technology Specialist will be responsible for:
- Design, develop, and implement highly professional online and classroom training for a diverse audience of emergency management professionals
- Apply adult learning theory and instructional design methodology into interactive online training that supports multiple learning styles
- Utilize industry-leading course development tools (i.e. Articulate Studio, Articulate Storyline, Captivate)
- Assist with needs analysis to identify gaps and opportunities in the training program
- Develop and implement evaluation strategies to determine overall training program effectiveness
- Assist with the instruction and logistics of classroom-based training
- Work closely with subject matter experts to design and develop training material
- Be responsible for the maintenance of the agency LMS
- Populate, maintain, and report on thorough and comprehensive training records
- Create and analyze training data generated from LMS reports
- Support the training unit with course installation and SCORM expertise
- Provide helpdesk support for LMS users
- Provide expertise around learning technology systems, software, and trends
- Keep abreast of new elearning and learning technology trends, methods, and techniques
- Provide leadership regarding best practices in elearning and applications
- Research, identify, and procure online training material and courses to support the agency’s work in emergency management
- Provide technical expertise to support Training & Exercises Division contracts and other learning technology initiatives
The selected candidate will staff the City's Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency activations, and work during non-business hours during emergencies. The selected candidate will also participate in drills and exercises, and will assist with Ready NY presentations to external groups and other duties as assigned.
- A master's degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences or related field and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire or police or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in "1" above; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state's department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in "1" above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made.
NOTE: New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
- Experience in developing online learning content, preferably using Articulate Studio, Articulate Storyline, and/or Adobe Captivate
- Experience with managing Learning Management Systems, including SCORM
- Experience using graphic design software, such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Experience with photography and video production related to training
- Experience managing multiple projects in a high pressure work environment
- Strong project management skills
Highly motivated with strong attention to detail
- Strong critical thinking and analysis skills
Current City Employees: Apply via Employee Self-Service (ESS). Go to Recruiting Activities > Careers and search Job ID# 147011.
Non-City Employees/External Candidates: Apply via NYC Careers. Go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search Job ID# 147011.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Special accommodations will be provided for disabled applicants