Interagency Exercise Coordinator
|Office Title: Interagency Exercise Coordinator
|Civil Service Title: Emergency Preparedness Specialist
|Division/Work Unit: Training & Exercises
||Salary Range: $50,000 - $60,000
|Work Location: 165 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, NY 11201
||Hours/Shift: M-F, 9-5
|Number of Positions: 1
Grant funded until August 31, 2015 with the possibility of an extension.
The New York City Office of Emergency Management is seeking an Interagency Exercise Coordinator to work as part of the Training and Exercise unit to accomplish the drills and exercise program development objectives as outlined in the US Department of Homeland Security’s (USDHS) grant funding requirements. For the purpose of this program, an Interagency Exercise Coordinator is expected to possess the skills, experience and training necessary to allow him or her to employ a proactive, versatile approach to drill and exercise support, knowledge of the Citywide Incident Management System (CIMS), emergency preparedness planning, exercise program development and implementation, in addition to a wide range of other duties, including records retention, and data management. The Interagency Exercise Coordinator will report to the Exercise Deputy Director and will conduct the following duties:
- Develop, implement and evaluate drills and exercises to test the emergency response plans of New York City
- Prepare briefings, presentations and reports that detail the outcomes of respective exercises
- Develop and implement standards and objectives for determining the efficacy of NYC OEM drills and exercises
- Assist in the development of After Action Reports. Develop improvement plans based on the reports
- In concert with city agencies, develop CIMS-specific objectives for all drills and exercises
- Collaborate with City, State, Federal agencies and private organizations to develop and implement exercises and drills designed to enhance respective agency efficiency
- Compile quantitative data from drills and exercises for review and progress tracking
- Manage exercise consultant contracts and coordinate agency support as needed;
- Coordinate agency support as needed
- Assist with Ready New York presentations to external groups
The selected candidate will be expected to work non-business hours during emergencies and will be assigned to a periodic Emergency Operations Center Team and will work as part of the Operations Team in response.
- A master's degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences, or related field, and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire or police or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made, or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time paid professional experience in one or a combination of the area listed in "1" above; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s department of education or a recognized accredited organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which the appointment is made.
NOTE: New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; Ability to work well under pressure;
- 3 years experience in Emergency Management a plus
- Previous experience with exercise and training design a plus
- Understanding of ICS and NIMS
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office preferred
- Excellent meeting and time management skills are a plus
Current City Employees: Apply via Employee Self-Service (ESS). Go to Recruiting Activities > Careers and search Job ID# 161807.
Non-City Employees/External Candidates: Apply via NYC Careers. Go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search Job ID# 161807.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted