Health and Medical Specialist
|Office Title: Health and Medical Specialist||Level: I|
|Civil Service Title: Emergency Preparedness Specialist||JVN: 017/13/207|
|Division/Work Unit: Planning & Preparedness/Health & Medical||Salary Range: $50,000 - $65,000|
|Work Location: 165 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, NY 11201||Hours/Shift: M-F, 9-5|
|Number of Positions: 1|| |
This position is grant funded until August 31, 2014, with the possibility of an extension.
Reporting to the Director of Health & Medical within the Planning and Preparedness Division, the health and medical specialist will collaborate with relevant agency partners to develop citywide emergency response plans for a wide range of natural and man-made hazards. The specialist be involved in the periodic testing, review, and revision of these plans and will work with local, state, federal, and private sector partners to ensure their successful implementation. In addition, the specialist will assist with Ready New York presentations to external groups.
The Specialist will be required to staff the City's Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency activations and to work non-business hours during emergencies.
1. A master’s degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences or related field and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire or police, or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above; or
3. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which to appointment is to be made.
NYC residency is required within 90 days of hire
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of public health operations, roles, and responsibilities at the local, state, and federal level.
- Ability to interface with agency partners and work independently or collaboratively on projects, often under compressed timelines.
- Proficiency with standard office computer and web applications (Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
To apply:Current City Employees: Apply via Employee Self-Service (ESS). Go to Recruiting Activities - Careers and search Job ID# 114713.
Non-City Employees/External Candidates: Apply via NYC Careers. Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search and search Job ID# 114713.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.