Geographic Information Systems Specialist
|Office Title: Geographic Information Systems Specialist ||Level: I|
|Civil Service Title: Administrative Staff Analyst Non-managerial||JVN: NYCHAA02|
|Division/Work Unit: Geographic Information Systems||Salary Range: $60,000-$68,000|
|Work Location: 165 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, NY 11201||Hours/Shift: M-F, 9-5|
|Number of Positions: 1|| |
Funded by the NYC Housing Authority Assigned to the NYC Office or Emergency Management.
The selected candidate will join a strong staff of GIS specialists at the NYC Office of Emergency Management whose mission is to provide reliable geospatial data of all types to decision makers and planners in support of effective emergency management and response.
Under the supervision of the Director of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), the GIS Specialist will be assigned long-term projects to produce map products and data sets in support of the agency’s long-range emergency planning efforts. The selected candidate will also produce maps and data sets requested by OEM staff on an ad hoc basis. Additionally, the GIS Specialist will provide assistance to a team of specialists whose focus is to research and maintain existing and new GIS data sets.
The selected candidate will be expected to work non-business hours during emergencies and will be assigned to a periodic Emergency Operations Center Team.QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- A master’s degree from an accredited college in economics, finance, accounting, business or public administration, human resources management, management science, operations research, organizational behavior, industrial psychology, statistics, personnel administration, labor relations, psychology, sociology, human resources development, political science, urban studies or a closely related field, and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: working with the budget of a large public or private concern in budget administration, accounting, economic or financial administration, or fiscal or economic research; in management or methods analysis, operations research, organizational research or program evaluation; in personnel or public administration, recruitment, position classification, personnel relations, employee benefits, staff development, employment program planning/administration, labor market research, economic planning, social services program planning/evaluation, or fiscal management; or in a related area. 18 months of this experience must have been in an executive, managerial, administrative or supervisory capacity. Supervision must have included supervising staff performing professional work in the areas described above; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and four years of professional experience in the areas described in “1” above, including the 18 months of executive, managerial, administrative or supervisory experience, as described in “1” above. PREFERRED SKILLS
- Master’s degree in geography, geographic information systems, urban planning, or related field.
- Strong experience with ArcMap 9 or 10 and ArcSDE.
- Strong background producing map products.
- Strong background using and producing GIS data sets.
- Strong data management skills.
- Strong ability to work effectively in a team structure.
- Strong ability to complete tasks in a timely fashion.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to:
Director of Personnel
NYC Office of Emergency Management
165 Cadman Plaza East
Brooklyn, NY 11201
or e-mail in MS Word or RTF format to: email@example.com.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted