Continuity of Operations Planner
|Office Title: Continuity of Operations Planner||Level: II|
|Civil Service Title: Emergency Preparedness Specialist||JVN: 017/13/210|
|Division/Work Unit: Administration/COOP||Salary Range: $65,000 to $75,000|
|Work Location: 165 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, NY 11201||Hours/Shift: M-F, 9-5|
|Number of Positions: 1|| |
This job is grant funded through August 2014 with the possibility of an extension.
The Continuity of Operations (COOP) Project Planners are grant funded positions with the potential for grant renewal. The COOP Planners will be responsible for coordinating the development and maintenance of continuity of operations plans as part of a citywide business continuity program.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Commissioner for Administration the COOP Project Planners will:
- Interact with agency executives, unit leaders, consultants and other stakeholders regarding continuity of operations planning.
- Develop and publish project plans, track and report progress on contingency efforts.
- Assist and advise agencies on developing and maintaining contingency plans and recovery strategies.
- Develop written preparedness plans and operational procedures.
- Coordinate and publish plan updates, using technical tools and programs.
- Maintain records of plan status and assess quality of plans/documents.
- Develop and manage cross-agency continuity initiatives to increase citywide resiliency
- Research best practices and case studies in continuity planning methodology and software tools
- Maintain and implement updates to the COOP Intranet Site using Interwoven Teamsite Content Management System (CMS)
- Compose newsletters and programmatic communications to COOP teams/liaisons at partnering agencies
- Assist in planning and implementation of new planning application for City of New York COOP program
- Coordinate with agency COOP teams to develop and conduct continuity of operations trainings and exercises.
- Support other preparedness and operational activities, as needed.
The selected candidate will be expected to work during non-business hours during activations of the Emergency Operations Center.QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- A master’s degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences or related field and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire or police services, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in "1" above.
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in "1" above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made.
PLEASE NOTE: NYC residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
- Excellent writing and editing ability
- Strong communications skills
- Prior experience in emergency management and/or business continuity/COOP planning
- Prior experience with information systems disaster recovery is desired
- Prior experience working with business continuity software a plus
- Prior experience working with emergency notification tools a plus
- Prior experience working with web content management systems (CMS) a plus
- Professional Certification in business continuity (e.g., ABCP or CBCP)
- Graduate defgree from an accredited school in a relevant field
Current City Employees should apply via Employee Self-Service (ESS). Go to Recruiting Activities > Careers and search Job ID# 115874.
Non-City Employees/External Candidates: Apply via NYC Careers. Go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search by Job ID# 115874.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.