Citizen Corps Council Outreach Coordinator
|Office Title: Citizen Corps Council Outreach Coordinator||Level: I|
|Civil Service Title: Emergency Preparedness Specialist||JVN: 201|
|Division/Work Unit: External Affairs||Salary: $55,000|
|Work Location: 165 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, NY 11201||Hours/Shift: M-F, 9-5|
|Number of Positions: 1|| |
The NYC OEM Citizen Corps Council (CCC) is a coalition made up of non-profit, faith-based, government, and community based organizations dedicated to using their collective resources to promote emergency preparedness and response throughout the New York City. The CCC Program is seeking an outreach coordinator to:
- Act as co-chair for quarterly CCC meetings
Manage a wide variety of communication tools including weekly digest of resources, social media site, monthly newsletter, and City website.
Use Council membership to assist with the development of outreach strategies for the Special Needs, Youth, Immigrants and Limited English Speaking, and Volunteer communities
Plan and conduct special events including annual Disaster Volunteer Conference and Special Needs Symposium
Develop and produce a regular set of volunteer education/training programs for volunteers from member agencies.
Prepare and manage National Preparedness Month events
Create and manage various CCC publications
The Outreach Coordinator position requires a creative individual who has demonstrated excellent community development and communication skills. S/he must be assertive enough to challenge member agencies to complete projects but also be sensitive to competing priorities. The position requires someone who has a working knowledge of New York City and has shown commitment to developing community resiliency.
The selected candidate will be expected to work non-traditional hours to meet the program needs including some evenings. The candidate will also work non-traditional hours to manage citywide emergencies with his/her Emergency Operations Center Team.Qualification Requirements
- A master’s degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences or related filed and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following; emergency management, fire, police, or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be ma
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above.
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made.
- Experience working with community groups and volunteers preferred
- Superior written, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage several projects simultaneously
- Experience with event planning and coordination
- Ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to mediate and negotiate with individuals and groups
- Proficiency in one or more languages commonly spoken in NYC
- Proficiency with Social Media tools, such as Tumblr and Twitter
Current City Employees: Apply via Employee Self-Service (ESS). Go to Recruiting Activities - Careers and search Job ID# 109725.
Non-City Employees/External Candidates: Apply via NYC Careers. Go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search Job ID# 109725
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.